Can somebody verify these verbal instructions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suckr

Reaction score
Well I went to the LHBS agian today to get a BB for my apfelwein instead of using a bucket. Of course I couldnt go there without buying almost everything I bumped in to. The wife and I sampled some of their raspberry wheat beer on a previous visit and she won't shut up about it so I picked up his 'kit' for it. Its designed to clone a beer at a local brew pub. He didn't have any kind of instructions in writing so I'd just like to verify I remember what he told me to do..

What I have:
1 can of BREWFERM Tarwebier (no english on can - I'm assuming its hopped malt extract) O.G. 1.052
1 can Muntons Wheat Malt Extract
1 3lb can Oregon seedless red raspberry puree
1.25 lb Dextrose (corn sugar)
5g pack Safbrew S-33 yeast (He swapped this yeast pack out with the pack that came with the Tarwebier, apparently for higher ABV)

His instructions were:
Bring Wheat malt extrat and corn sugar to a boil in 2 gallons of water - boil for 5 mins.
Remove from heat and add 'Tarwebier' malt extract and stir well
Add 1 gallon cold water to primary (bucket) - dump in wort - dump in fruit puree
**heres where math doesnt add up - its for a 5 gallon batch.. when do I add the other 2 gallons? Just dump 3 gallons cold water in bucket before wort? Top off to 5 gallons after wort is added? Does it matter really?
Wait for wort to hit approx. 70 degrees - sprinkle yeast in and shake.

Sound about correct?

I also didn't catch fermentation times but I am doing hydrometer readings - that I can find out what he averages on ferment and botteling times.

Thanks for putting up with my noobness.

Don't forget your ingredients have volume too...

They do?? Are you sure?? :p .. I totally wasn't thinking of that for some reason.

So I guess it would make sence to just top it off to 5 gals before adding the yeast then.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious that I so often miss. :mug:

i would cool the wort with a wort chiller before adding it to the bucket. i don't think 1 gallon of cold water will get the wart below the magic 80F mark and prevent oxidation. besides the pouring of the hot wort into cold water will aerate and possibly oxidize it. other than that everything sounds fine.

Tarwebier is also a wheat beer and is pre-hopped. The Muntons isn't, but I wouldn't worry about it for this style.

Cooling the wort a bit before mixing would definitely be a good idea. It's much easier and quicker to cool 2 gallons from boiling to 120F or so, than it is to cool 5 gallons from 120F to 70F.

I've never done a fruit beer, but I thought it was advisable to add the fruit after primary fermentation. Would this help the OP make a better beer?

I've never done a fruit beer, but I thought it was advisable to add the fruit after primary fermentation. Would this help the OP make a better beer?

That's something I hadn't considered until now. I've been cracked out reading as much as I can here and noticed that for most of the 'lambic style' beers people are racking onto the puree in a secondary. He probably told me the procedure 3 times and at no time did he mention a secondary. Did he forget or leave out a step? I hadn't planned on using a secondary for anything with this paticular batch - should I either, either for the fruit addition or clarifying?

That's something I hadn't considered until now. I've been cracked out reading as much as I can here and noticed that for most of the 'lambic style' beers people are racking onto the puree in a secondary. He probably told me the procedure 3 times and at no time did he mention a secondary. Did he forget or leave out a step? I hadn't planned on using a secondary for anything with this paticular batch - should I either, either for the fruit addition or clarifying?

I don't think it is necessary, but something that I've read/heard that is recommended. I am toying with the idea of adding fruit to a stout and my plan is to rack the beer onto the fruit in a secondary after primary fermentation was done. I'm sure you can search on this topic and find some good info to help you.

As for clarifying, generally I don't think you need a secondary if you leave the beer in primary for long enough (3 weeks or so).

Well.. I made this batch up this evening following the directions I posted above. Fruit and everything in the primary.

I didn't get the wort cooled as quickly as I would have liked and ended up pitching at ~81 degrees - within 'acceptable' range but warmer than I was planning - hopefully I won't regret this later on. (Building a chiller is now next on the list)

I tried to get an accurate reading but was having troubles with foam and with my hydrometer wanting to stick to the tube. Best I could tell was 1.048. Does this sound like its in the ballpark of what to expect? I saved enough for another sample to try again later.

I've only been at this for maybe 3 weeks and this is the third batch going. I can't wait to start another, I'm just hoping my friends or myself can choke down some of what I'm making. :D

Thanks for all the help everyone.

** 4 hours after pitching and bubbles already.. might wanna put on a blowoff before I go to bed..

Latest posts

Back