1 mash, 2 beers, not partigyle, here's my plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you think of this plan. the short version is I want to mash with enough grain to run off about 13.5 gallons of wort (+ 1 gallon at the end into another kettle) that I can split into 2 kettles.

I will be making a IPA and a APA from the wort, I will have all the runnings in a keg, mix well so it is all the same gravity, should be 1.050 pre boil. Run 6.3 gallons into another kettle and sparge 1 last gallon out of the mash/tun to dilute the wort for the APA. In theory I should have 1.050 preboil wort for the IPA and 1.042 preboil wort for the APA.

Then boil from there with their respective hop bills.

Has anyone done this, seems like a pretty easy way to make 2 beers.

The grain bill will be:

19.5 lbs 2-row 88%
1.13 lbs cara/pils 5%
.75 lbs crystal 40 3.39%
.75 lbs white wheat malt 3.39%

The IPA will be a blind pig clone and the other will be a first time APA recipe with summit and willamette I am thinking.

Other than not understanding why you think this isn't a partigyle ...

Ok, I thought the partigyle thing was having one high gravity brew with one more session beer. I guess this is pretty much the same thing expect I am getting two close, normal gravity brews out of it.

So does partigyle esseintially mean 2 beers out of the same mash? no matter what the beers are?

Did I word the OP perfectly? No responses, I guess this will be as smooth as butter when I mash it.

But like David said, I guess this is technically still a parigyle and I am just a beginner still and don't know what I am talking about :cross:

It is still a partigyle (2 brews from one mash) you're just taking all the runnings and mixing them, then diluting the second one, where a traditionally thought partigyle will use the first runnings only for one big beer, and the subsequent runnings for a smaller one.

I just did this exact thing on Monday. 20 lb grain bill. First kettle boiled immediately and then dosed with WY Lambic blend. Second kettle was set aside to sour with wild lacto overnight and boiled on Tuesday.

I did not think of this as a partigyle either. Partigyle to me also is when you take the first runnings as one batch and the sparge runnings as another batch. You get two completely different worts from the traditional partigyle process. With what we did you get two identical preboil worts. To me that makes a huge difference between what we did and a true partigyle.

By literal definition what we did is a partigyle but in practice it departs from the spirit of what partigyle is all about.

I just did this exact thing on Monday. 20 lb grain bill. First kettle boiled immediately and then dosed with WY Lambic blend. Second kettle was set aside to sour with wild lacto overnight and boiled on Tuesday.

I did not think of this as a partigyle either. Partigyle to me also is when you take the first runnings as one batch and the sparge runnings as another batch. You get two completely different worts from the traditional partigyle process. With what we did you get two identical preboil worts. To me that makes a huge difference between what we did and a true partigyle.

By literal definition what we did is a partigyle but in practice it departs from the spirit of what partigyle is all about.

Good to hear, it seems pretty simple, I hope it turns out that way. It would be nice to get 2 beers out of 1 brew session. I have done 2 beers at the same time with 2 different mash/tuns but that is a lot of work dealing with both and all the sparging etc...

Back