4 Gallon Cactrus bottles from Walmart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtoofay

Reaction score
Today, as I was shopping in Walmart, I saw these 4 gallon bottles. They appears to be for the Cactrus water dispensing system. Upon inspecting the bottom of 1 bottle, it said 1 for the recycling code, as well as "PETE" printed next to it. So, I decided to buy 1 bottle and check it out.

The lid has some sort of valve system that helps with spills, but you can remove the entire lid just like any other 5 gallon bottles. The material seem to be a little thinner and more flexible then my 5 gallon water bottles (which by the way... is a 7!!!! ewww). The bottle opening, however, is excatly the same as my better bottle, accepts the same size stopper.

So.... figure $1/gallon for the water... the 4 gallon sized mini better bottle costs just $1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna start making Apfelwein on this bottle, and maybe pick up some more tomorrow!!!

Has anyone used this before?

give it a shot and let us know. The 1 pete should be fine, good luck.

One of the reasons I HATE this forum.... now I feel weird drinking the water that comes out of it.......

On a similar note, my local Lowes has a 3 gallon bottled water on sale right now for $3.52 and the bottle is marked #1 on the bottom. I picked up 5 so far. Same wide mouth as a Better bottle.

What the hell does the #1 or #7 mean? Is this common knowledge or what.....?

recycleCodes.jpg

plastics.JPG

1 and 2's are the best...7's make you grow manboobs...

So I can blame my man boobs and my pregnant looking belly on #7 bottles then? I thought my lack of exercise coupled with my beer and food consumption was the root cause, time for what might be called a frivolous lawsuit. I'm going to view it as a retirement plan. :D

I dunno, though. Might be fine for water and general use, but I would seriously worry about the plastic leaching with fermentation....

On a similar note, my local Lowes has a 3 gallon bottled water on sale right now for $3.52 and the bottle is marked #1 on the bottom. I picked up 5 so far. Same wide mouth as a Better bottle.

My Lowe's had the same thing a few weeks ago, and I got 3 to make some apfelwein.

Squash is a sport on the other side of the pond. Kinda like racquetball - but different. Maybe a bottle for bringing drinking water to your game?

Nope. Juiced squeezed from fruits are called "squash", or so I'm led to understand. Lemonade is called "Lemon squash." I could be wrong!

Bob

I dunno, though. Might be fine for water and general use, but I would seriously worry about the plastic leaching with fermentation....

The #1 is PETE the same as Better Bottles . The Sam's Monadnock spring water and the Wallmart bottles we are talking about are #1 PETE .

Does anybody carry the #1 PET water bottles in a 5 gallon size? All I keep finding are 4 gallon.

I want a 5 gallon to make small batches for my 3 gallon kegs. I can use a 4 gallon, I guess, but prefer a 5 gallon. My 5 gallon Better Bottle is just the right size. I can make a 4 gallon batch, fill the 3 gallon keg, and have a few liters left over for little PET bottles.

Dang, and just when I thought I had an new idea to post on the board. I was at Sam's Club and saw the bottled water and thought Hmm I need water for my next brew, and that container would look good with 4 gals of Edworts headache juice in it. The bottle I got even advertises BPA free. I don't think I will ever have an original idea to post here, you guys are just 2 fast.

Doug

Does anybody carry the #1 PET water bottles in a 5 gallon size? All I keep finding are 4 gallon.

I want a 5 gallon to make small batches for my 3 gallon kegs. I can use a 4 gallon, I guess, but prefer a 5 gallon. My 5 gallon Better Bottle is just the right size. I can make a 4 gallon batch, fill the 3 gallon keg, and have a few liters left over for little PET bottles.

Home Depot has them for around $13; $6 for the RO water and $7 for the deposit. It'd be nice to find a cheaper source; The 4 gal ones at Menards are less than $6 out the door.

There are two components of plastic... the resin (made from crude oil) and the plasticizer. It's is the plasticizer that makes the resin able to be formed, as well as making moobs and other feminizations. The plastics are worst in Puerto Rico as they are mimicking female hormones and causing puberty in seven year old girls.

Don't blame the plastics themselves. Blame us for not wanting to use glass.

Back