Carboy Cooling System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kladue

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a couple shots of the next project underway for the brewery Picasa Web Albums - Kevin - Carboy Coolin.... The copper tube is 1/4" od on 3" centers to give 1 1/2" span for heat transfer, the metal band is 18 Gauge galvinized steel 12" X 12". The design goal is to make a stationary cooling band that will allow one to slide the carboy up to the band and insert temp probe/airlock assembly then close insulating wrap around carboy, and start cooling program for fermentation temperature control. The long term goal is to have 8 cooling bands setup on 2 levels of shelving so one can individualy control each carboy without needing a refrigerator. Coolant is supplied from main cooling system for brewing system CFC and it is cold enough to allow for lagering temperatures in the carboys. Control of the carboys will be from an additional Opto 22 panel connected to brewing system panel network for coordination of cooling system and cooling cycle control. This project was started ahead of schedule because all the available points were used in brewing panel and additional digital outputs were needed for hop addition controls.

Nice set up Kladue. I have a similar idea that I might use to save space. I have to say though I like how copper is attached to the plate. I take it that this makes it more effective. s.

I like this Kevin, did you simply solder the network of piping to galv sheeting?

could you both lower and raise the temps with glycol ( two stage controller or Opto 22 panel) and use an another element to warm the Glycol if needed ?

What about a complete jacketed system that simply fits the carboy into a dedicated fermentation holder/chamber to maybe utilize the bottom for additional coils ?

It's a brilliant idea so far

The 1/4" copper is soldered to the galvinized steel to improve heat transfer, what is not shown is the foam rubber insulating covering with a velcro closure for wrapping carboy. The design idea is to make the cooling system stationary and make it possible to slide full carboy up to plate for cooling or heating. Still have to work out how much self regulating heat cable is needed for heating and how to attach, might use 3/8" copper and run cable inside.

Back