What do i need to do next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagwag

Reaction score
So I'm fermenting my cider, started at 1.085 and 6 days later I'm at 1.035. I'm going to rack it when fermentation stops, which should be soon. What is back sweetening and why would I need it? Plus I want to get it clear without using any additives

Can anyone help me and throw out any suggestions at all??????????

Back sweetening is done to change the final taste. Use a sweetener that isn't fermentable (they are specifically made for this). When I make my wine, I stick it in the freezer after fermentation is complete to stop the yeast. You could also use potassium sorbate to accomplish the same thing. Then you can safely add sweetener without worrying about it fermenting further. If you taste it after it finishes fermenting and you like it, then don't worry about adding anything.

As far as the clarity, if you don't want add anything then time is your friend. Although if you used apple cider, the level of clarity isn't going to be very high.

Back