Rookie bottler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
Ok. My first batch, oktoberfest ale extract. Tasted good prior to bottling. Been weeks ago, beer doesnt taste good now....I realized that I sanitized my bottles in the sink. I let them soak for a while in sanitizer. My initial plan was that I didnt care about the beer labels still on the beer. I sanitized the bottles with labels on, then peeled them off. As you can guess, the water murked some as they soaked and I cleaned them off. I assume there is a good chance this could affect sanitation and flavor? Infection? Go ahead amd make fun of me!

No one is gonna make fun of you! Shoot im a major rookie. But can you describe then weird flavor?

More'n likely it's goo/dye/boogies from the labels.

I used to de-label about 40-50 bottles at a time in a tub with 10gal of oxyclean-water. Judging by the color of the water once i removed the bottles, i wouldn't wanna drink that stuff.

either get/build a bottle tree, for storing bottles upside down after a quick dunk in star-san. or better yet, use a vinator to sanitize bottles as you're filling them.

Hard to describe. Seems similar to a flavor I had in a german wheatbeer. I dont know. I just know it tastes different than when I bottles, off flavor covering up good stuff. Another thing i messed up was that I did t fill up bucket to 5 gallons before bottling. I ended up with 44 bottles. My lhbs said the amount of sugar is provided for 5 gal. Not sure if that would affect taste? Or just carbonation? Its been bottled for 4 weeks, I opened one the other day and didnt seem very carbonated. Thx for any help. Did I ruin it by sanitizing in same water as I soaked labels in. Likely eh?

What temp should I be conditioning at? They are at same Temp I fermented in my basement. 67-68 degrees. Upstairs would be a little warmer. Better?

The funny flavor could be the glue and label gunk. It could also be the ingredients/kit that you used, fermentation at non-ideal temps, etc. If you have a friend who brews, or a homebrew club, give them a bottle. They would figure it out pretty quickly. One of the side talents that comes with brewing is we become really good tasters :)

Is the bottle fully carbonated?

What was used as the "sanitizer". Your kitchen sink is one of the nastiest bacteria-laden places in your whole house. Consider picking up a "vinator" and bottling tree at some point to make the cleaning/sanitizing job a lot easier.

Back