Partial English Pale/looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on partial mash brew I'm working on for tomorrow night. I want an english pale ale and was searching for easy recipes and found a Maris Otter SMaSH with Kent Goldings. Sounded good to me so I thought I would give something similar a go (not a SMaSH). Here's what I was thinking

18 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb Crystal 20
1 lb flaked wheat
1 lb flaked barley
9 lbs Dry Malt Extract

Mash
all grains BIAB in 11 gallons at 150 (should have about 11 gallons after 2 gallon rinse)
boil
6 oz kent goldings @ 60 min
2 oz kent goldings @ 5 min
2 oz dry hop kent goldings
fill to 15 gallons, drain to demijon and pitch 3 packets safale 04.

ferment approx 70 deg F.

I know my hop schedule looks a little funny but I was working on a way to do a no chill keeping it covered in the garage. It's really cold here in NY right now and keeping the hose from freezing is a chore.

I also know that the flaked wheat and barley are good for head production and retention but wasn't sure how much to use if any.

Any advice, criticisms are welcome. If I'm way off here, I want to know.

The recipe looked terrible until I saw you were doing a 15 gallon batch. :)
I've never used flaked wheat in an EPA, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I have used small amounts of torrified wheat, but I wouldn't like to go over 1/2 lb for a 5 gallon batch.
I like the flaked barley, and have used up to 1 lb in a 5 gallon batch, but I think 1/2 - 3/4 lb per 5 gallons is better.
Personally, I would replace the Crystal 20 with Crystal 60 (preferably English) and possibly increase it to 1 1/2 lb. This would give you a deeper color, and a flavour profile more typical of an English Pale Ale
I'd change the 60 minute hop addition to half the weight of something like Northern Brewer with about twice the AA%, but that's because good Kent Goldings are difficult to find, and I like to keep them for late additions.

Good luck.

-a.

For what it's worth,here's my 2c from my 2nd pm pale ale that's 3 weeks in primary tomnorrow. I used 2lbs rahr 2-row,2lbs marris otter,.5lb crystal 20L,& .5lb carapils. I used 1lb of muton's plain light DME,& 2lbs of their extra light DME. The lhbs was out of my usual light DME. I like Munton's for the English flavor profile.
From airlock wiffs,it had a caramel buiscotti like smell with a bit of toastiness as it would smell from the buiscotti-like one. The color looks like it'll be amber/copper. So the darker crystal malts might take it beyond that.

Thanks! Just the type of input i was looking for. I was adding the flaked grains for head and really didnt know how much or exactly which one to add.

Back