CAD files of kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBrood

Reaction score
I'm in the process of designing a keg conversion to electric kettle and am still sourcing my keg. I'd like to proceed with design and am really hoping to find an accurate CAD model or diagram of a keg. Ideally a half-barrel 15.5gal keg. I'll be working in AutoCAD, but I'm an old hand at engineering design and can convert from just about any format if it's accurate.

Can anyone out there hook me up with a CAD file or link?

Anyone have anything for REAL software? I'm talking AutoCAD, 3D Studio, SolidWorks, Rhinoceros, MicroStation, etc.? I find it hard to believe that with all of the manufacturers out there, no one has released an accurate pro-quality file!

Sketchup files don't convert cleanly - there are often hard-to-spot distortions.

I find it hard to believe that someone familiar with AutoCAD, 3D Studio, SolidWorks, Rhinocerous, and (GOD forbid) MicroStation has a hang-up with "hard to spot distortions" in a file conversion for something as simple as a Cornelius Keg.

Perhaps you might contact IMI Cornelius and ask if they have a file they could provide.

Personally I consider "real" CAD software to be more along the lines of CATIA, Pro/Engineer, or NX. AutoCAD and the like are the second tier products.

But I don't have any keg designs in those, either.

Personally I consider "real" CAD software to be more along the lines of CATIA, Pro/Engineer, or NX. AutoCAD and the like are the second tier products.

But I don't have any keg designs in those, either.

Heh..okay, fair enough - differences in interpretation. I use the terms "real" and "pro" to refer to programs that are actually standard tools in real-world design. Not quite sure why now that I think about it, but with all the SketchUp fans here, I figured talking (what I refer to as) top-tier applications would just get blank stares... :rolleyes:

I suppose that I should have been more specific: I'm looking for a SANKE keg model, not a Corny (planning a 15gal electric brew kettle). I did take a look through the model database for SketchUp as suggested above....downloaded a whole pile of files, and very few with any real details or measurements......and not one made any reference to a data source for their models. I'm a professional design engineer - and I'm working on a big design (on the order of the size of theelectricbrewery.com) with some innovative gadgets. If I'm going to order custom parts for manufacturing, I'd really like to have an accurate model without having to chop up a whole keg with a sawzall to get decent interior measurements!

I have a few models in SW that I can post when I get home tonight. They are more accurate than those I have downloaded/converted in the past. Keep in mind that there are several different manufacturers of sanke kegs and they will all vary slightly from on another. If you are really worried about milimeters it would be best to measure the keg(s) you have.

What program and version do you use? I might need to convert to igis or step first.

SolidWorks is just fine with me. I have access to just about anything through one office or another.

I don't need every little measurement in millimeters, but if the interior can reflect the proper diameter and curve radii, I can run analysis on the thermodynamics of the moving fluids (the curve, especially at the bottom, will have an impact on circulation, aeration, and drainage).

I realize that it's probably an unrealistic wish without wrangling models directly from the manufacturer, but accurate models of the tap would assist in my modifications. Of course, I won't know which design I'll have until I buy a few kegs to work on...

I don't need every little measurement in millimeters, but if the interior can reflect the proper diameter and curve radii, I can run analysis on the thermodynamics of the moving fluids (the curve, especially at the bottom, will have an impact on circulation, aeration, and drainage).

I realize that it's probably an unrealistic wish without wrangling models directly from the manufacturer, but accurate models of the tap would assist in my modifications. Of course, I won't know which design I'll have until I buy a few kegs to work on...

Here are the two models I have:

1. Half Barrel Keg.SLDPRT (2010)
HalfBarrelKeg.JPG

Detailed tap (no spring valve or stem) and handles. No holes in the skirts.

2. Keg Shell.SLDPRT (2010)
KegShell.JPG

Closer sidewall dimensions to my three kegs but no detail in the tap section. Also no handles or holes in the skirts.

The bottom of these are not 100% accurate as all three of my kegs actually have a flat spot of about 5-6" diameter that I did not work into the model. The rest of the details are fairly accurate.

PM me or let me know if you want any other models, I have a ton built up over the past couple years for my brewery planning.

Thanks! Both of those look FAR superior to the "close enough" models through the Sketchup boards (expecting accuracy in model databases for such a low-end app was clearly unrealistic). These should certainly help get me started.

On the kegs with the flat zone in the bottom, is the transition from flat to curve a clean tangent or is there a visible transition point (bend line, weld bead, etc.)?

On the kegs with the flat zone in the bottom, is the transition from flat to curve a clean tangent or is there a visible transition point (bend line, weld bead, etc.)?

On the interior of the actual keg there is a small ring you can see from the transition of the flat center circle to the sweep up to the outside wall.

The second model I posted is close enough with a flat-ish center that you should have no issues. A problem does arise when you try to mate a flat faced drain tube as my model isn't (edited) 100% flat so an advance mate is require rather than a simple face to face.

A problem does arise when you try to mate a flat faced drain tube as my model is 100% flat so an advance mate is require rather than a simple face to face.

Thanks for the heads-up on that....where to mount drainage is something that I haven't quite yet determined. So even though there is a flat area that is theoretically large enough to mount flush hardware, I'll just assume that there is at least some curvature for connector selection.

Hey, TheFlyingBeer,

Can I get those files in AUTOCAD!? I use progeCAD 2010, but AUTOCAD files work.

Could someone convert one of these to a STEP or IGES? Those are pretty universal. I'm on Pro/E and can't open Solidworks or Inventor.

Pro/E works for me, but IGES or STEP is more universal for whomever else may come across this thread.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back