aerating the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is something like this
http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/mixstir.jpg

useable to aerate the wort prior to pitching yeast, or is it something else entirely? I've heard of people using oxygen stones, with oxygen canisters, but I've used this with some positive results.

Those work, anything that agitates the wort. I personally shake mine up by rocking the carboy like mad. Stones work also, but really don't aerate as quick as some want to believe, not unless your using pure oxygen. Someone had a scientific eval on all the methods comparing how much dissolved oxygen ended up in the wort. I was happy to find out my shake / rocking method works just fine unless I go with an oxygen setup.

This is good, I haven't seen a discussion on this in awhile. I let the chilled wort fall into the carboy from the top. This creates a lot of foaming but at least I know its getting a little oxygen in there. Then I shake like mad. Basic Brewing Radio did a show on this I think and they found out that shaking really doesn't do anything. But I don't really care because I make good beer and don't want to spend the money on more equipment right now. (actually I do want to spend the money I just shouldn't).

This is good, I haven't seen a discussion on this in awhile. I let the chilled wort fall into the carboy from the top. This creates a lot of foaming but at least I know its getting a little oxygen in there. Then I shake like mad. Basic Brewing Radio did a show on this I think and they found out that shaking really doesn't do anything. But I don't really care because I make good beer and don't want to spend the money on more equipment right now. (actually I do want to spend the money I just shouldn't).

+1 I have seen a noticeable difference in my beer by letting my wort fall about 3' into the bucket from my counter flow chiller. Lets just say I get enough foam that in a ale pale I have to push the foam down with the lid if I have 5 gallons in there.

+1 I have seen a noticeable difference in my beer by letting my wort fall about 3' into the bucket from my counter flow chiller. Lets just say I get enough foam that in a ale pale I have to push the foam down with the lid if I have 5 gallons in there.

That is similar to my aeration method as well. I pour my cooled wort (I use an immersion chiller) through a strainer into my bottling bucket; then with my Ale Pail on the floor and the bottling bucket on the counter, I open the spigot and let the wort fall a few feet through a strainer and into the primary. I fully expect all of my beers to take off in <4 hours, and they always do.

If you don't do a complete boil, then you should not worry too much about this aeration. Just get your stirrer spoon and do a 3-5 minutes vigourous stir.

For high-gravity brews I use O2 through a stone, but for "normal" gravity ones I aerate by running it through the airlock...the piece at the bottom of it breaks apart the stream into 4 streams and aerates the bejesus out of it. Get lots of foam in the fermenter and I can keep the lid on (not sealed, to let displaced air escape), means one less thing to touch the wort.

through_airlock.jpg

This, of course, I don't do without pitching the proper amount of healthy yeast. Always, every time. ;)

I just bought one of those mix/stir rods a couple of months ago, and it seems to work ok. I can't say that I've seen any improvement over shaking the Carboy, but it sure is easier to use! :)

My only thought looking at that rod is that it looks awfully sharp on the ends. I wouldn't want to be using that on my plastic fermenter in case I introduced scratches to it.

My only thought looking at that rod is that it looks awfully sharp on the ends. I wouldn't want to be using that on my plastic fermenter in case I introduced scratches to it.
Good point (pun not intended).
I'm sure I heard david from wyeast on BBR say 4min of shaking the fermenter gives as good aeration as any method besides pure oxygen.

For high-gravity brews I use O2 through a stone, but for "normal" gravity ones I aerate by running it through the airlock...the piece at the bottom of it breaks apart the stream into 4 streams and aerates the bejesus out of it. Get lots of foam in the fermenter and I can keep the lid on (not sealed, to let displaced air escape), means one less thing to touch the wort.

through_airlock.jpg

This, of course, I don't do without pitching the proper amount of healthy yeast. Always, every time. ;)

I'm wondering how air gets in while your aerating? You ever though of leaving the lid off?

I use a big (~8") stainless kitchen wisk. I whip the bejeesus out of it for about three or four minutes, changing directions every twenty seconds or so (about the time it starts to vortex to the bottom). This method gives me about three inches of foam on the top. Since the wisk has no sharp edges, its not hard on the plastic primary like my mix-stir would be. But, this method only works in a plastic primary.

-Todd

I'm wondering how air gets in while your aerating? You ever though of leaving the lid off?

The lid's not sealed, just sitting on there to let displaced air escape. When the wort stream hits the bottom of the airlock it splits into 4 streams, kinda like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose. The air's already in there. ;)

I prefer to keep the lid covering the fermenter. Too many things floating around in the air to keep the lid off for me. Flies, other small insects, things blowing off trees 20' from my fermenters...

I once used a mix-stir in a carboy.... once.... everything was going great until I spun it so fast that the wine exploded out of the carboy like a venetian fountain.

Based on the info in this thread...I have a couple questions:

1) Because of "aeration" would pouring wort (through strainer) into a bucket be preferable to siphoning it?

2) After pouring (assuming pouring instead of siphoning)...you shake or stir for appx 5 minutes...and THEN pitch the yeast?...So after the yeast is pitched, you do not stir/swirl/shake. (you take the OG before pitching, correct?)

Based on the info in this thread...I have a couple questions:

1) Because of "aeration" would pouring wort (through strainer) into a bucket be preferable to siphoning it?

2) After pouring (assuming pouring instead of siphoning)...you shake or stir for appx 5 minutes...and THEN pitch the yeast?...So after the yeast is pitched, you do not stir/swirl/shake. (you take the OG before pitching, correct?)
1) once the wort is cold, splash it around.
2) correct

I don't have a wort chiller, and don't want to waste water, so I syphon from the kettle to a 20L sanatised food grade cube. The container has any air squeezed out and stays on the porch overnight to cool.
The next day the wort is at yeast pitching temperature and the wort gets poured into the fermenter splashing about as much as possible then I shake the fermenter some more. Then my yeast starter gets poured straight in and the fermenter is not disturbed again until bottling time.

Back