American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, if you remove the FHW, or even a 60min addition, you'd lose most of the bittering.

This beer is a clone, and it is to be at 40-41 IBU's. So keep that in mind when you all want to change it around. It'll make good beer, I'm sure. But it won't be the recipe stated.

23 IBU's in a beer is weak.. unless it's a saison or a blonde.

Here's a really close clone of the Citra Pale Ale from Oddsides, in Grand Haven, Michigan. Very close to what I remember it tasting like.

It's a fantastically, easy drinking, ultra flavorful Pale Ale. These guys make one of the best Pale's I've ever had, and the Brewer, and the Brewery are TOP NOTCH. The Headbrewer gave me some "direction" in designing/guessing the recipe, and it helped me greatly. I believe this one is very close to the original, and if anything makes a fantastic, easy drinking beer that is good to the last drop!

Mash @ 152* for 60 minutes.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.0 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
0.40 oz Citra [13.40 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 18.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 10.7 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 7.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Flameout 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min) Other 13 -
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Ferment it out cool, around 66-67*F.

It's a great tasting, balanced, and fruity Pale Ale. If you hate Citra, you are in the wrong place. The wheat is what gives this beer the slightly creamier, heavier mouthfeel that makes you love it. The lacing and head on the beer are perfect. So refreshing!

5179A669-8DDB-48E1-A937-54059FCF16CC-2261-000003D7790963AD.jpg

B3967653-15AA-4E36-BC98-59A8603F0A43-3235-000005919BEC45D3.jpg

First off i am new to all grain and have never dry hoped before sotoday i bought everything to do this recipe and they gave me 2 oz of raw hops not pellets so is this ok to use for dry hopping and if so do i still use 2 oz. this sounds like a great beer

thanks
Jim

Yes.. Use the whole leaf hops for dry hopping. Use every bit that you bought! ;)

Good luck with it.

I must say, this was a truly delicious beer, and dangerously drinkable. I have tried to get the original (in fact, I have never tasted it!), but they don't seem to distribute in NY state. So I can't judge how good it is at replicating the real thing, but it's great.

That said, I do think a few more flavor hop additions are a good idea. I will definitely brew this again with your newly posted recipe. Thanks!

I must say, this was a truly delicious beer, and dangerously drinkable. I have tried to get the original (in fact, I have never tasted it!), but they don't seem to distribute in NY state. So I can't judge how good it is at replicating the real thing, but it's great.

That said, I do think a few more flavor hop additions are a good idea. I will definitely brew this again with your newly posted recipe. Thanks!

Yea its not bottled and can only be found 3 places outside the brewery on a regular basis.. more sometimes.. but 90% time its limited to jus three local beer bars..

They are talkin about bottling soon!

Thank you very much. I can't take credit for the idea of this beer, as I'm trying to clone Oddsides CPA, but, I will agree that this beer is so dang good, and soooo easy to drink, you'll find yourself wondering where the hell it all went, and so fast..

Infact.. my keg kicked last night... Need to brew this again.

BTW, the recipe on page one is the original one I came up with.

The suggestions going foward, would be to add another half ounce at 10 and 5 minutes, or even split the difference and do an ounce at 7minutes. Use Beersmith, to balance it back to roughly 41 IBU's, and I'd suggest no higher than 45. Might drop back the bittering addition to even it all out if need be.

I will update the recipe this week, and get all the numbers lined up to keep the beer where it should be.

Enjoy.

what sparge temp did you use, i am brewing it this weekend

Jim

Here's a really close clone of the Citra Pale Ale from Oddsides, in Grand Haven, Michigan. Very close to what I remember it tasting like.

It's a fantastically, easy drinking, ultra flavorful Pale Ale. These guys make one of the best Pale's I've ever had, and the Brewer, and the Brewery are TOP NOTCH. The Headbrewer gave me some "direction" in designing/guessing the recipe, and it helped me greatly. I believe this one is very close to the original, and if anything makes a fantastic, easy drinking beer that is good to the last drop!

Mash @ 152* for 60 minutes.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.0 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 21.3 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 15.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.9 IBUs
1.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Flameout 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min) Other 13 -
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

NOTE: The recipe has been altered since version 1. The FWH/60 min addition is deleted for the raised 15/10min addition for more flavor, and the same amount of IBU's this beer should be.

Ferment it out cool, around 66-67*F.

It's a great tasting, balanced, and fruity Pale Ale. If you hate Citra, you are in the wrong place. The wheat is what gives this beer the slightly creamier, heavier mouthfeel that makes you love it. The lacing and head on the beer are perfect. So refreshing!

5179A669-8DDB-48E1-A937-54059FCF16CC-2261-000003D7790963AD.jpg

B3967653-15AA-4E36-BC98-59A8603F0A43-3235-000005919BEC45D3.jpg

Any suggestions for introducing a hop back in the loop between the kettle and chiller/carboy? Same hop amount as the flame out addition?

At flame out I have my setup pumping through a plate chiller immediately and into the carboy so the hops wouldn't be sitting in the kettle more than a couple of minutes after flameout. My thinking is just throw those hops into the hopback and run it in between kettle and chiller.

Any suggestions for introducing a hop back in the loop between the kettle and chiller/carboy? Same hop amount as the flame out addition?

At flame out I have my setup pumping through a plate chiller immediately and into the carboy so the hops wouldn't be sitting in the kettle more than a couple of minutes after flameout. My thinking is just throw those hops into the hopback and run it in between kettle and chiller.

Why not loop back and return into the kettle for a bit, and do the hopstand for 10 minutes or so?

I don't have a set up like that, but would intensify the aroma, and you'd be able to use less hops as you'd better utilize it.

I would actually say the wheat grist, with the layered crystal tosses off the shaper lychee fruit- grapefruit bite back a bit. It's much mellowed, a very smooth Citra flavor. I think it highlights the aroma, and the flavor of Citra very well, without being so wildly hoppy and intense, yet still has the intense flavor of Citra that everyone so much loves.

Would you think using Rahr's Red Wheat instead of flaked would add too much color? Possibly back of on one or both the Crystal malts to compensate? Thanks, and what a beautiful beer. I have bookmarked it, and I am careful to only keep keepers.

Am I reading the recipe right that there are no 60 minute hops additions? I was trying to follow along with the changes and I'm getting confused now. I'm going to the LHBS to buy the ingredients today so hopefully someone can help me out!

Would you think using Rahr's Red Wheat instead of flaked would add too much color? Possibly back of on one or both the Crystal malts to compensate? Thanks, and what a beautiful beer. I have bookmarked it, and I am careful to only keep keepers.

You could try it. The recipe has been tossed around to the head brewer, and he said it's true to form.

He uses actually LESS hops than this recipe, but only because he gets better efficiency due to brewing on a larger system ( and probably more talent than us hombrewers.. ).

It would be worth trying, I think it would add too much color, but you could drop the C60, and use all C40 and try it. I did the C60 for color mainly, if it were all C40, I seriously doubt it would change the recipe at all.

Nevermind...plugged it into beer smith and I get it now.

Yeah, no 60 minute. The original does have a 60 I believe, but like mentioned, it uses less hops too but mainly because of their system being larger and efficient, since you are getting the bitterness from the 60 addition. I liked the way it turns out tossing it all in later. Same IBU's and a really potent aroma and great depth of flavor.

Brewed this up today. Pretty much hit all my numbers. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'll report back in a few weeks.

forcabrew said:
Has anyone compared this clone to the 3 zombies clone?

I kicked a keg of this clone last week, and had a Zombie Dust on tap this past weekend. To me the beers were almost the same. Maybe a little bit of mouthfeel difference from the flaked wheat in the clone. This beer was really good but I'm sick of tropical fruit hopped beers. I've just made so many lately they all are blending together.

Transferring to the keg in a few days. Look forward to reporting back in a few weeks. Nailed all the numbers so it should be spot on with the posted recipe.

Tapped my keg of this on Thursday and it is great. Heaven in a pint glass. Unfortunately, I now have a wicked head cold and cannot taste anything. Doh !! This tastes very similar to the zombie dust clone in that it is a punch in the face of citra. Other than the fact that the ZD clone has a higher abv, they are almost indistinguishable. Both very good.

Yep it kicks ass. I've never even had Oddsides so I can't compare but you had me at "all citra". Plus I liked the unique hop addition schedule and wanted to give that a shot. Its tasty for sure, this will not be lasting long.

img_20130509_233006-59761.jpg

Yep it kicks ass. I've never even had Oddsides so I can't compare but you had me at "all citra". Plus I liked the unique hop addition schedule and wanted to give that a shot. Its tasty for sure, this will not be lasting long.

Nice! Wish I could taste it but you nailed the color and look spot on!

Looks pretty good there!

I need to brew this again actually. I need something low abv on tap.

It just came on-line on Monday. Took 2 days to really get used to it. My 1st thought was...................... POW! That was different!

Now that I've slept on it.................................. I've learned how to drink it............................................. let it rest in the class a little. Smell the pungent floral aroma, enjoy the dry hopping, swirl the hoppy goodness, understand the different mouthfeel, then get ready................. POW.

This is my 1st Citra. Wow! Does this hop combine well with anything else?

I think I've got a new favorite this month!

I have had the CPA from Oddsides. I bought a Growler of it during the heat wave last year. I Brought it home and had a glass. Before I knew it, I was out. That made me sad. However, I found this thread, and now I can brew this one up just in time to ward off the heat again this year. This makes me happy. Thank you, OP! You just saved summer!

I am going to brew this tonight or tomorrow night. Can anyone explain the hop schedule. I read the update from FatC1ty but I am having trouble getting to 41 IBU. He dropped the 60/FWH and moved the other two up? That would leave:
.5 Citra 15min
.5 Citra 10min
1.5 FO
2 DH
That is well short of the IBUs so I believe I am confused. I bump those to a full OZ and also include 1oz at 5min in order to get 41IBU. I do need to check my alpha% as my numbers were using 12.5%.

Thanks for any help

bigdongsr94 said:
I am going to brew this tonight or tomorrow night. Can anyone explain the hop schedule. I read the update from FatC1ty but I am having trouble getting to 41 IBU. He dropped the 60/FWH and moved the other two up? That would leave:
.5 Citra 15min
.5 Citra 10min
1.5 FO
2 DH
That is well short of the IBUs so I believe I am confused. I bump those to a full OZ and also include 1oz at 5min in order to get 41IBU. I do need to check my alpha% as my numbers were using 12.5%.

Thanks for any help

Your missing the .5 (5min) additions
.5 (1min)

Back