2 Micron air stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynz

Reaction score
Hey guys, picked up a S.S. 2 micron air stone from NB and an aquarium air pump from the pet store for aerating my wort. Straight from the plastic bag the stone came in, then on to the tubing and the air pump to test it in a glass of water... nothing. I tried blowing into the tube, again... nothing. Now I'm getting a little peeved. Out to the garage to the air compressor, now I get air to go through... okay, now what I think.

Is a 2 micron stone too restrictive for an air pump? If I picked up an O2 bottle, is there enough pressure in it to use the stone? If so, as the bottle pressure drops through use, how much O2 will remain in the bottle before pressure is too low to push through the stone?

Flynz

I use 2 micron with a bottle. I forget how many psi the regulator is set for, can check later. How many psi can the pump do?

The aquarium air pump has no data plate to show it's output. It's nothing more than a cheap $10 pump from the pet store.

I just bought a 2 micron as well and did a similar test with an aquarium pump in a bucket of water. I had a little better results. I'm using a cheap pump for a 10gal aquarium, through a filter then to the stone. I had some bubbles coming out but not much. Was going to step up my pump to a 40-60gal and see if that works better.

Yup, gave it some thought too. However, I don't think for my stone it would work, I can't even get it to work by blowing into it so I think an upgraded aquarium pump still wouldn't have the needed output.

Let us know how you make out.

That's pretty constrictive. I bought the NB kit with airstone, rod, tubing and adapter for welding O2 tanks. It's worked well for me for a while now. I know it sounds weird but you might try boiling it in some water for a few minutes and then hook it up to the air supply. If there's anything stuck in there that's heatable or water soluable, this should dislodge it in theory.

As an alternative, an aquarium products company makes disposable airstones that you can attach directly to aquarium tubing, and just toss out the airstone afterwards. Dirt cheap. Just sanitize, attach to airline/pump and let er rip. Link: http://www.petco.com/product/6126/Lees-Discard-A-Stones-Aquarium-Airstones.aspx

Did you handle the stone itself with your bare hands? The oils from your hands can clog the pores of the stone...or so I've been told. The boiling advice above is probably good advice, then don't handle the stone with your fingers. Maybe wear some clean latex gloves while you put it on the tubing.

Hmmm, watching this one closely. And I thought it was mine or the pump but I could not find which of the 2 it would be. Boiled the crap outta my stone for 15 mins and well over a half hour and still nothing. Blow thru the stone and I get restriction, but it blows. Put it on the pump, nothing at all. Lost the use of it for 2 brews now. Was gonna get another bigger micron stone or pump, but was a little gun shy to find maybe the opposite of what I replaced was the culprit. The pump I have is also for a 10 gal tank, the box says nothing about what psi it uses.

Did you handle the stone part? There was a warning on mine to not touch it as the oils on our skin would plug it up. Might want to do a search for how to remove the oils and see if that helps.

Some years back I had a cheap aquarium pump that I somehow ended up with for free. I used it in a 5 gallon bait bucket. The deeper I dropped the stone the few bubbles. By the time it got to the bottom, no bubbles at all. The stone was probably about as cheap as I could find so was probably less restrictive.

So I tried boiling the "stone" for :15, still unable to even blow air through it. Think of the smallest, toughest balloon you tried blowing up as a kid and were unable, that is what I have here. Certainly a bigger aquarium pump couldn't do it either. I guess it's either cheap throw away type of stones as suggested earlier or buying an O2 tank.

On to the the next dilemma....

Flynz said:
So I tried boiling the "stone" for :15, still unable to even blow air through it. Think of the smallest, toughest balloon you tried blowing up as a kid and were unable, that is what I have here. Certainly a bigger aquarium pump couldn't do it either. I guess it's either cheap throw away type of stones as suggested earlier or buying an O2 tank.

On to the the next dilemma....

Ive been using the same stone for a couple of years. When it gets gummed up I first soaked it in PBW, then boiled and then soaked in star San and it was like new.

I do use a O2 bottle though..

Wow, a .2 mu air stone? That's pretty small. How can you even see it?

I can't blow thru mine.. but, when I hook it up to the small tank I got from HD.. it works just fine.. nice small bubbles. I've handled mine not realizing that tissue oils would affect it.. but, so far.. so good. Just realize.. 2micron pores are VERY tiny.. too small, IMO for an aquarium pump that's designed for a fish tank air stone. If you aren't using O2, you probably want a standard airstone.. not the 2 or larger sintered SS stone.

I used my 2 micron with a 50gal aquarium pump for the first time this weekend and was surprised at what happened. I had good bubbles coming through as you can see in the first picture.

IMAG3134_zps47e2df24.jpg

I watched it for about 5 minutes and then left it and came back 5 minutes later to find that it had created huge foam and was foaming out the top of my carboy.

IMAG3141_zps4d0785b0.jpg

I read somewhere that you should let the air stones work for about 15 minutes. I obviously had to stop mine at 10. I'm curious if others get this foam but I don't want to hijack this thread. I might need to start a new one with this foam thing.

Back