NB smashing pumpkin question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opened two bottles up tonight. They've been in the bottles for 3 1/2 weeks. Tastes delicious, the pumpkin spices come through at the finish, subtle but noticeable. Slightly undercarbed right now, so it should be even better in another week.

Opened a few on Halloween, they had been bottled for two weeks and carb'ed up nicely. Good clean taste, subtle pumpkin spice flavor. Fun to make !

After 2 weeks in the bottle mine is still flat. Also there is little to no visible yeast residue in the bottles. It taste good... But no idea what's going on or what I may have done wrong.

I just bottled on Sunday and after a little extra cinnamon/ginger combo, the flavors really seem there. It did seem a little watered down, but we will have to wait and see what becomes of it.

After 2 weeks in the bottle mine is still flat. Also there is little to no visible yeast residue in the bottles. It taste good... But no idea what's going on or what I may have done wrong.

How much priming sugar did you use? Did you mix in the priming sugar in well in your bottling bucket? Did you get a good seal on your bottles?

Those are what I would investigate first.

itsernst said:
How much priming sugar did you use? Did you mix in the priming sugar in well in your bottling bucket? Did you get a good seal on your bottles?

Those are what I would investigate first.

Used 5 oz. priming sugar. After boiling the water and cooling I always put the mixture at the bottom of my bucket and then fill with the beer so I get a good mix. I did not mix things up after that. Does the sugar settle to the bottom? So if I test the first bottles filled, they should be fine, or over carbonated? Best I can tell caps are nice and tight. Due to my lack of knowledge I found it most interesting that there is not yeast settling at the bottom. Is it possible to have all yeast drop out of suspension, or is there always going to be some floating around. Also; I kept the bottles at 72 - 74 deg for the last two weeks per the instructions on iBrew Master

Used 5 oz. priming sugar. After boiling the water and cooling I always put the mixture at the bottom of my bucket and then fill with the beer so I get a good mix. I did not mix things up after that. Does the sugar settle to the bottom? So if I test the first bottles filled, they should be fine, or over carbonated? Best I can tell caps are nice and tight. Due to my lack of knowledge I found it most interesting that there is not yeast settling at the bottom. Is it possible to have all yeast drop out of suspension, or is there always going to be some floating around. Also; I kept the bottles at 72 - 74 deg for the last two weeks per the instructions on iBrew Master

5oz should be fine; I had an issue with my first batch i ever brewed where I did the same thing as you and put my priming sugar in the bottom of the bucket and didn't mix and I had the same issue that you did. I chalked it up to the fact that this did not thoroughly mix in the beer. The other part of this is that the priming solution would be below the bottling spigot as well, so its possible that all could be under carbonated.

I now tend to fold in the priming solution almost in layers to ensure that it is as mixed as it can be without aerating the beer.

itsernst said:
5oz should be fine; I had an issue with my first batch i ever brewed where I did the same thing as you and put my priming sugar in the bottom of the bucket and didn't mix and I had the same issue that you did. I chalked it up to the fact that this did not thoroughly mix in the beer. The other part of this is that the priming solution would be below the bottling spigot as well, so its possible that all could be under carbonated.

I now tend to fold in the priming solution almost in layers to ensure that it is as mixed as it can be without aerating the beer.

More heartache in the home brewing world... Thanks for the feedback! Cheers

Back