Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
My Pumpkin Ale had been in Primary for 7 days so I wanted to move it to secondary to get it off the thick trub and add my spices. I took a gravity reading after moving it to the secondary and it is 1.022. My OG was 1.057 and I am expecting a FG around 1.017.

Will my gravity continue to drop some after moving to secondary? I had plan to leave it in secondary for a another 14 days.

The fermentation will slow down, as you'll be leaving yeast behind, but it'll still continue until the yeast are done.

When your gravity readings are consistent over 3 days, then fermentation is done, though the yeast may still be cleaning up after themselves

Thanks. I was wondering if there was enough yeast left to continue to ferment down a little more. I was hoping it would get closer to the 1.017 mark.

I will start my 3 day tests when it is about 18 days old looking to bottle at 21 days.

IMO you do not move the beer until you have verified FG regardless of your schedule. In addition, was this an extract batch or AG. If extract there is the possibility that it will not drop any further. If AG there is also a possibility depending on the grain bill and mash temp.

That being said, if you really want ti to try and drop more than leave it on the yeast, moving it to secondary will only increase the possibility that it won't finish.

I'd recommend raising the fermentation temp in secondary by 3-5 degrees to encourage what yeast is left to keep going. At this point off-flavors won't rear their head because reproduction is over.

Thanks. I'm raising the temperture now as I type. I did not realize you are suppose to have the FG before moving it to secondary. I have not read that anywhere. From my readings, during the conditioning phase it should continue to ferment. Hope it continues some.

If there is still a lot of pumpkin in suspension will that cause gravity to be higher?

Thanks. I'm raising the temperture now as I type. I did not realize you are suppose to have the FG before moving it to secondary. I have not read that anywhere. From my readings, during the conditioning phase it should continue to ferment. Hope it continues some.

If there is still a lot of pumpkin in suspension will that cause gravity to be higher?

It shouldn't as gravity is a measure of dissolved sugars.

Latest posts

Back