Blueberry cream question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agsensi

Reaction score
M making a blueberry cream beer. Been fermenting in primary for 2 weeks time to add fruit or extract that's the question. If I add blueberry extract will that give me strong flavor. I was originally going to add yeast killer and add frozen purée but would like to Bottle this one instead of kegging. Also frozen blueberries are. Expensive. Other question is how much extract for 5 gal batch if I go that way. Thanks for help in advance.

This depends on what you're looking for. Some people are trying to make a Cream Ale with a 'hint' of blueberry. Detectable, but not overpowering. This is the style I would be looking to make. Others, however, have no problems making a 'Blueberry Drink' with a hint of beer. This can be attributed to the over-use of either flavoring route - fruit or extract. Typically, fruit extracts in beers, in my experience, are detectable as extracts - although I've had a good Apricot Ale that used extract. I would use about 2 lbs of blueberries, preferably fresh - but frozen would work. With extract, 1.5 oz would be a nice hint of blueberry. You don't want to overpower the 'Cream Ale' aspect of the beer, but let both elements stand out.

I've heard of plenty of brewers using both extract and real fruit. Honestly, I've never tried using both, but I'd go with real fruit. I've done a blueberry chocolate stout that turned out AMAZINGLY awesome using 14 pints of blueberries. However, blueberries can be expensive if you can't find them on sale or if you don't want to use frozen blueberries. I personally have no issues with using the 3 lb. bags of frozen blueberries I can get at the local grocery store though.

I'd go with frozen fruit - im adding 1 lb per gallon and then adding a 16oz jar of wild preserves - its a belgian base that I steeped some crystal malt in so it won't dry out.

Randy mosher has eluded to using jam so I'm trying it out - maybe an option for you

Back