Pectic Enzyme Preparation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaspawn

Reaction score
I am sorry if this has already been covered. I did do a search but only saw references to using it but no how to prepare.

I have a melomel that is very cloudy. I was planning on transferring it to quatinary tonight. I was going to use gelatin finings to try to clear but I was wondering if maybe I should also use Pectic Enzyme as well - maybe transferring the mead to a quinary after I use the gelatin fining. Whatever I do though I don't know how to prepare the enzyme for use. It's a powder form and I have seen some answers on BYO.com that refer to it in liquid form So I am guessing that I need to use some water with it but that's a guess and that's all I got. Don't know if I should heat it or anything.

Thanks,

:tank:

I've never used it late, but in primary I just stir it in with the other ingredients. Since you obviously don't want to aerate now, why don't you just pull out some of the mead (a tiny bit is fine) and stir the pectic enzyme into it until dissolved and then put that in the bottom of the carboy. Rack the mead into it. It'll mix up when you rack, if it's already dissolved. You can use 1/8 cup water instead of the mead, too, if you want.

I love you Yoop! You are always there for my mead questions!!!

Should I use it in place of the gelatin? Should I use it at the same time as the gelatin? Should I do as I was thinking in my OP? I thought that it was only for fruit and 4 months ago when I made this mead I wasn't planning on using fruit.

I've only used pectic enzyme in primary, just stirred it into the must like I do with the yeast nutrient & energizer. I don't see why you couldn't dissolve it in a glass of water & then add it to your melomel, though you might want to use a smaller dose since it's not going into primary. Yooperbrew or Summersolstice might know more about adding pectic enzyme so late in a fermentation. Odds are pretty good that it'll clear on it's own wih nothing more than time, provided you didn't set pectins by boiling your fruit; what kind of fruit anyway? Peaches take a long time to clear. Hope you find some of this info useful, GF. EDIT: Yooper responded while I was typing my response. <LOL>

I used 5 lbs of blackberries. I froze them for 2 days and then thawed them over 36-48 hours. I liquified them in the blender and then added them to the tertiery 3 weeks ago in a fine mesh bag.

I think the per gallon usage is on the bottle but how much should I use of the Pectic enzyme just in case?

I used 5 lbs of blackberries. I froze them for 2 days and then thawed them over 36-48 hours. I liquified them in the blender and then added them to the tertiery 3 weeks ago in a fine mesh bag.

I think the per gallon usage is on the bottle but how much should I use of the Pectic enzyme just in case?

The package of pectic enzyme I have says to add 3/4 tsp per gallon... I usually use 1/2 tsp per gallon & it's always worked well enough for me; but I add it in primary or secondary... I don't see why it wouldn't still work this late, but remember it's not a fining agent, it just breaks down the pectin & cell walls of the fruit. Regards, GF.

So I should probably add the pectic Enzime and then add the Gelatin finings 2 or 3 weeks afterwards?

So I should probably add the pectic Enzime and then add the Gelatin finings 2 or 3 weeks afterwards?

I've never used gelatin, but that's what I would do. My finings are always the LAST thing I add. I tend to use sparkeloid for my wines and meads- probably just because that's what I have- and it works great to clear up any remaining haze.

Back