low Temp a good thing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelred

Reaction score
If i brew at temps of 50- 60f am I going to low or should I get a heater. I am going to brew a pils from a kit. In a bucket then into a plastic brewmaker keg. then into bottle ? will the cold kill me or is it handy for pils ? forgive the lack of know how......

It all depends on what type of yeast you're going to use.

If its a lager yeast, try to ferment at around 50*F. If it's an ale yeast, try to ferment at around 65-70*F

When you say "brew at 50-60 f", I assume you mean ferment and condition. I fthat's true, yes that's a bit on the low side for an Ale. Typically, you should be between 60 and 73 or so. Technically, the yeast will work at slightly lower and higher temps, but why take the risk.
I'm not sure you'd want to use a heater, since that will result in gretaer temp fluctuations that can create some off flavors. You sure you can't find a closet or some place with ~65 temps?

rebelred said:
is pils not simliar to lager ?
a pils is a lager. you'll want to ferment this around 50F, assuming you're using a lager yeast. what kind of yeast came with your kit?

it didnt say it was dried yeast in a package. I am using a kit by brewmaker. First time round so I am not very knowlegable. I presume it is a lager yeast as it was sold as a lager kit...

rebelred said:
it didnt say it was dried yeast in a package. I am using a kit by brewmaker. First time round so I am not very knowlegable. I presume it is a lager yeast as it was sold as a lager kit...
it's a totally unmarked package? :confused:

rebelred said:
is pils not simliar to lager ?

Pils is a German word to describe their version of a Pilsner style beer. They both are part of the lager 'family' of beers.

The key to answering your question is knowing what type of yeast was provided.

the yeast was only marked with a serial number...in a silver package...there was alos a yeast nutrient.....what is the worst case secenario if it isnt a lager yeast ? will i produce poison ?

Pilsener is the definative Czech lager, you can't beat it IMO. If it was a lager yeast 50F is great, if its an ale yeast you'll want it slightly higher. What temperature just it say in the instructions? That might give you a clue.

Don't worry about it though, you'll still make beer no matter what yeast you use. If you want to brew a lager next time and you can get those low temps you might want to substitute the yeast that came with the kit with some liquid lager yeast.

....I plan to use bottled water can i use the 2liter bottles afterwards to store the beer as i dont have any glass bottles ? or will leaving it in the plastic 5gal keg be ok to serve from ? I thought I could fill a few 2 L bottles from the keg as I wanted to dirnk them...throw them into the fridge to chill ? I read that if I use sugar in the keg it will be to carbonated to put into bottles( 2liter palsitc btw)...so fro bucket to keg will i use sugar ? or no sugar and sugar wehen bottling ?

Latest posts

Back