braided line insides

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
how do i get the interior hose out of a braided line to use it in a mash tun.
mine is about 16" long, but i can't seem to pull the insides out.

Grab it firmly with needle nose pliers, and push it off, If you pull it off it will rip. Also when you get a good 4 or 5 inches of hose exposed cut it off with side cutters so you will have good leverage.

Drop and F-Bomb or three along the way. I find it helps.

it helped me. i also, i read (and agree) that the braid is similar to a pair of chinese handcuffs, (not the style from mallrats) so if you kinda push the ends together while pushing out the hose, it helps. sounds wierd, but i somehow did it.

Think of "Chinese finger locks." Taking the hose out from the SS braid is just like trying to pull your fingers free. Bunch up the SS sheath to make slack and slowly work the hose out a little bit at a time.

WARNING: Do not actually use as chinese finger cuffs unless you enjoy the pain of dozens of tiny little stainless steel needles embedding into your fingers.

EDIT: oh yes, and you WILL get poked with the sharp ends of the cut off SS braid at least once.

it helped me. i also, i read (and agree) that the braid is similar to a pair of chinese handcuffs, (not the style from mallrats) so if you kinda push the ends together while pushing out the hose, it helps. sounds wierd, but i somehow did it.

agreed. it also seems like its easier to push one way versus the other. maybe i'm crazy, or maybe it just has to do with friction and the way these get manufactured.

+1 on the chinese handcuff method. compression cases the diameter to increase.

It's all true. I need to replace mine and I am actually looking at getting another one this weekend. In hindsight, I wish I had gotten a bigger one to begin with. I started with the 1/2 inch one and it got kinked and compressed very quickly and I had a stuck sparge with it last weekend. I'm going with the 1 inch version this time.

I use a 1 inch with a coil of 8 gauge copper wire inside to keep it from compressing. Works a treat but it's frickin huge.

I just did this yesterday and after trying to push it through a couple times I switched tactics and got it out by pulling in one shot. I just straightened the hose, put one end on the ground, held it steady between my feet, pushed straight down on the braid while pulling on the rubber tube. It slid right out, no fuss.

mine was stuck on there pretty good, and about half way through i got frustrated, so i cut the inside with an exacto knife and kind of folded it on itself a little and it came out right away. be really careful if you use my impatient method, you're likely to cut your fingers off

Back