Just tried my first DFH 120 minute IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
Man was it sweet. Hard to finish almost. I got allot of bitterness and alcohol taste as well but little to no hop flavor and aroma. Anyone else agree? What's a good year to let it age for?

I like the ethos of DogFish Head, but I am not super excited about their beers. In my experience, most are better on tap than in the bottle. I agree with your assessment of the 120. There are many better IIPAs out there. At the time it was first created, 120 (and 90-min) were pretty revolutionary. But times change...

Very tiny sips. That is how I remember drinking it. A mouthful was too much flavor.

IMHO, one of the most over-rated beers there is. I'm a fan of Dogfish Head, but as stated above, I don't consider 120 an IPA. It's a Barleywine at best. I've had it aged over a year, and it didn't taste any better to me. I've tried to like it....I've wanted to like it..... I don't like it.

It's cloyingly sweet. I used to like it but my taste buds have evolved beyond it. Same with worldwide stout. However, if you need a fast buzz, just drink either of them.

IMHO, one of the most over-rated beers there is. I'm a fan of Dogfish Head, but as stated above, I don't consider 120 an IPA. It's a Barleywine at best. I've had it aged over a year, and it didn't taste any better to me. I've tried to like it....I've wanted to like it..... I don't like it.

That and the price really throws it off for me. At $10 a 12oz bottle I'd rather buy a 12 pack of Sam Adams for a bit more.

I like the ethos of DogFish Head, but I am not super excited about their beers. In my experience, most are better on tap than in the bottle. I agree with your assessment of the 120. There are many better IIPAs out there. At the time it was first created, 120 (and 90-min) were pretty revolutionary. But times change...

I still think the 90-min is a solid IIPA. But yeah, the 120 is overrated and really syrupy. It's worth trying once, but there are better buys for the money. You can find 4-packs of some other really good IIPAs for around the price of one 12 oz. bottle of 120. The bottle I had was pretty fresh, so I can't vouch for one that had been aged for a couple years.

http://www.homebrewchef.com/120minuteIPArecipe.html

Just for some info, this is why its so sweet and has such a high ABV. 11 lbs of dextrose in a 5 gallon batch. thats nuts.

I enjoyed it when I tried it. It wasn't up to the hype but few things rarely are. I brewed a version of this that has grown based on this thread by scottland
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dfh-120-minute-clone-259314/
My final hydro reading was 1 with about 12 lbs of sugar, it was simply awesome ! Ill be making it again next time I have the energy for all the sugar additions, lol

I enjoyed it when I tried it. It wasn't up to the hype but few things rarely are. I brewed a version of this that has grown based on this thread by scottland
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dfh-120-minute-clone-259314/
My final hydro reading was 1 with about 12 lbs of sugar, it was simply awesome ! Ill be making it again next time I have the energy for all the sugar additions, lol

Yeah from everything ive read, your pretty much a slave to your carboy for about 10 days with the additions of sugar, O2 and additional yeast. Sounds like a fun challenge though.

Getting back to the OP, i've tried it fresh, aged 2 years, aged 4 years and i still have one aging from 2008. They get better as time goes on but def wouldn't consider it an IIPA, more like a sweet barley wine.

Back