Too long boil? Need help now, brewing in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polboy

Reaction score
I'm making 5.5 gal RIS as I write this but I messed up along the way and ended up 13+ gal of low SG wort, now after 2h boil I have 11 gal at 1.060. Looks like I will have to boil it for 4 more hours to get down to volume I need, is there an adverse effect of such a long boil (6-7h total?), should I just start my hops addition now and endup with strong stout instead??

boil it longer if you have time. Only side effect I see is increased color, which won't matter for a RIS

That is a lot of boiling! and a serious miscalculation! How in the world did you end up with more than twice what you needed for the boil??

Not to sound condescending - curious/nosy.

I wanted to make parti gyle 2 beers so mashed 22lbs grain with 10.5 gal of h2o but didn't get enough gravity points so had to sparge with 2x 3 gal end bum got 13gal

6h of boiling and I'm down to 7.5gal, time to start hops schedule

OMG bazooka in my BK is clogged with 8oz of hops, it will take around 1h to pass 6gal through CFC. I guess it will be 10+h brew day, this beer better be really good

Wow, that's a long boil!

You could have taken 4 gallons away at 1.060 for a normal stout, then added some dme to the rest of the wort to make a 1.090 ish RIS fairly easily.

I usually RDWHAHB but by the end of that brew day I would be passed out :cross:. Hope it turns out good in the end :mug:.

that was the worst brew day ever, bazooka get clogged completely after i passed 2.5gal of wort so i had to improvise, i ended up with pasta strainer and bottling bucket to save the situation. It was far from sanitary conditions but i hope high gravity and 4 cups of yeast slury from previous beer will save me from the infection.
I got ~6 gal of 1.1 SG wort but im sure my yeast/turb cake will take 1 gal or so

Good lord, that sounds like an extensive brew day :D

And good idea pitching mad amounts of yeast. Not only is that (probably) closer to proper pitching rates for a 1.100 OG wort, but it'll make sure the yeast out-compete any nasties you may have picked up in the less-than-optimal santitary conditions.

Good luck! Looking forward to the results :mug:

7 hours of boil....definitely no DMS in this batch. On a side note...why did you mash with 10.5 gallons of water for 22 lbs of grain? That's right up there near 2 qt/lb. Also, if this was a partigyle, why didn't you split the batch up and take the first runnings plus some of the sparge and boil that down? Maybe I'm just misreading your post.

7 hours of boil....definitely no DMS in this batch. On a side note...why did you mash with 10.5 gallons of water for 22 lbs of grain? That's right up there near 2 qt/lb. Also, if this was a partigyle, why didn't you split the batch up and take the first runnings plus some of the sparge and boil that down? Maybe I'm just misreading your post.

Well 10.5 gallons for 22 lbs would be perfect for a partigyle.

22# of grain should absorb roughly 2 gallons. 8.5 is not a terrible pre-boil volume. Then you sparge with 7-8 gallons and pow, that's your second batch.

yea thats what Reno said, i just didnt get enough points from my 1st mash so decided to cancel partigyle and do one beer instead of 2 then added two sparges 3gal each and viola i ended up with 13galons of wort that had to be reduced to 6.5gal, it took a while (i finished everything at 3am) but at the end i think i got what i wanted

I checked gravity today (2 weeks after pitching) and im satisfy, its 12.6 brix which = 1.020 after correction for alcohol, a lot of signs indicated stuck fermentation (lots of caramelize sugars from such a long boil, my active fermentation took only 4 days and i didnt see any co2 escaping on day 5, there was no yeast in blow off tube) so 1.020 and 10.4% ABV is very nice, im gona keep it one more week on a cake (but i dont expect og to drop further) and then transfer to 2ndary with oak and maybe few vanilla beans for few months. Color is a little disappointing as i was expecting much darker beer but it tastes fine (hot of alcohol of course)

Back