Why AREN'T you brewing this week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
I actually am brewing right now. Low ABV pale ale, hoppy, 3.5%, American pale with some Marris Otter (Advanced Homebrewing, Tokyo).
So, what's your excuse for not brewing this weekend?

The idea of this post was shamelessly stolen from the BrewBoard.

As of today, SWMBO and I have been together for exactly 1 year.

I may not be brewing, but I have some tasty stouts and hefeweizens for us to enjoy after we get back from the zoo and dinner.

Catfish said:
The ZOO?! Are you in Chicago or something?

Why, yes I am. We're going to go watch the monkeys do it.

She's a member of the zoo and was complaining we hadn't been there in awhile. Truth be told, I completely forgot about our anniversary and just said, "why don't we go to the zoo on saturday?" Then, last night at 11:58pm, it hits me. I'm like, "Oh ****! I forgot our anniversary and women care about that sort of crap..."

So I texted her right at midnight and I'm playing this off as me having remembered... Right now I'm trying to find a nice modestly-priced restaurant in the area to go to afterwards.

I was in Chicago for two weeks, the free zoo kicks ass. Nice gorilla house. Does the Map Room serve food? Theres a great ass middle eastern place walking distance from the Map Room.... not very good anniversary night.

Catfish said:
I was in Chicago for two weeks, the free zoo kicks ass. Nice gorilla house. Does the Map Room serve food? Theres a great ass middle eastern place walking distance from the Map Room.... not very good anniversary night.

No, not the free zoo (Lincoln Park). By far, that is the second best zoo in the area, The pay-zoo (Brookfield) is way better. But the free zoo is cool too. I've spent a lot of time there as well. It's awesome that there is a "park" in the city with open gates, no admission charge, and you can just walk around and look at lions and hippos, and you can leave after 30 minutes if you get tired and not feel as though you've wasted the admission price. IMHO, it's a great place to go to kill an hour, or just 20 minutes. The perfect thing for people (or kids) with a short attention span. It's a must-see if you have small children. The price is right, and you can leave after an hour and still be money ahead. But so yeah, we'll be in the burbs, not in the city.

I think we might do cajun for dinner.

Catfish said:

No empty fermenters! That, plus I'm waiting for a few extra grains to be delivered for the brew I really want to do. Hopefully my current beers will go into bottles and kegs this week so I'll be brewing up a big stout next weekend. At least one needs to empty up 'cos I've already made up the starter.

I am playing taxi driver for my two boys for their little league practices today, and tomorrow is my oldest's birthday. No brewing, but I got my portable kegerator built for next weekend's holiday camping trip.:mug:

I brewed Thurs, and also look at my signature - That's not BS, I really have 9 batches in the primary/secondary stages. It's really a nice day for it but I need to slow down. I think I may have a addiction problem, with brewing that is. I think I share more than I drink. I love the creating/brewing process almost more than the drinking.

I only have one primary bucket, and it's got a hefe in it until next Saturday. Also... no grain or hops on hand.

Grain bag isn't here yet. And on that note neither is the ignition coil for my bike. Mail is soooo slow!

Catfish said:

My excuse is I'll be brewing Monday and probably Thursday since I have vacation this week. I'd brew more, but I don't have enough primaries/secondaries for fermentation and bottling and really don't need to buy more.

But Monday and Thursday should be fun, 7 C's IPA and an Oatmeal Stout

I only have 1 open primary right now, and my old Houston brew buddy is coming up to Dallas next weekend.... awe hell. I just need to go buy 3 more fermenters. And it is better looking half's birthday.. Timed out a batch of Ed's Apfelwein to finish today. She is coming home from work to a carb'd and chilled glass of the good stuff!

I'm just not sure I'm going to have the time. I did however pick up the ingredients for the bird's Murder in the Red Barn IRA.

I figured if I got the ingredients I'd have to find time to make it.

I'm going to see Thomas the Tank Engine tommorrow, Next weekend we're going to the SIL's for the weekend. I may not brew again till my B'day(6/6)

Damn Squirrels said:
No, not the free zoo (Lincoln Park). By far, that is the second best zoo in the area, The pay-zoo (Brookfield) is way better. But the free zoo is cool too. I've spent a lot of time there as well. It's awesome that there is a "park" in the city with open gates, no admission charge, and you can just walk around and look at lions and hippos, and you can leave after 30 minutes if you get tired and not feel as though you've wasted the admission price. IMHO, it's a great place to go to kill an hour, or just 20 minutes. The perfect thing for people (or kids) with a short attention span. It's a must-see if you have small children. The price is right, and you can leave after an hour and still be money ahead. But so yeah, we'll be in the burbs, not in the city.

I think we might do cajun for dinner.

Hey, I'm from Brookfield!! I went to HS at RB. Its the high school next to the zoo. SWMBO also worked their through her HS days.

The reason I'm not brewing is;

1. Just got back into the country after being gone 14 days and I'm going back to China in 3 days. So I have chores & a honey do list a mile long.
  2. Not to mention I have about 25 gallons of HB on hand & ready to drink.
  3. $hit I'm flippn' tired as hell.

I just ordered the stuff to make a Hefeweizen and an Octoberfest.

I hope to bottle my Honeykolsch on Monday.

:mug:

Because I brewed twice last week and I'm going to be brewing 2 batches on 5/27. With only 2 secondaries I'm limited to 2 batches every two weeks. Time to buy a couple more carboys! :rockin:

I'm brewing up my Red today and transferred my Porter over to a carboy. I've got plans to brew some night after work this week and to bottle my latest Hefe. :mug:

I'm trying to figure out how to keep the fermenter cool. It's getting hot here and I don't want to cool off all 1200 sq ft of my garage just to keep a fermenter at 67 deg. I may go buy a window unit and construct a box. Otherwise I'd be brewing an ordinary bitter today.

Too tired. Worked the 25th Homebrew Fest yesterday and my bones hurt! Today, I'm taking it easy, other than the mandatory greyhound walking.

mward said:
I'm trying to figure out how to keep the fermenter cool. It's getting hot here and I don't want to cool off all 1200 sq ft of my garage just to keep a fermenter at 67 deg. I may go buy a window unit and construct a box. Otherwise I'd be brewing an ordinary bitter today.

A simple chest freezer & controller would work fine. I'm using a 10 cu. ft. model to keep that 67 degrees in my hot garage over the summer.

Not Brew? I think not.

Did 10 gallons of my Red Hook ESB Clone "Captain Hooked on Bitters".
I try not to let shortage of carboys slow me down.
Four_Fermenters.JPG

Today I'll do a little more work on my chest freezer and maybe drill a big ass hole in the top of my Sanyo...just for fun.

Man, I wish I had a basement. I'll get my brew hut eventually though. I'm all set finally for my inaugural 10 gallon batch, but it just started to rain. ****!.

I guess I'll move the equipment under the patio cover and move forward!

I feel that, Ed. One major disadvantage of living in the south: no huge cool storage chamber included with the house. Guess that's just something else to fuel the ingenuity!

mward said:
I'm working on this one as we speak. This will hold two fermenters or five cornies.

Chest_4.JPG

Chest_3.JPG

I'm graduating from college in a few hours. So, no brewing until the GF and I move into our summer sublet on June 1st. After that, however, it's brew time! :D
-Ben

Catfish said:

Stained the deck yesterday. Too tired today. Plus, no free fermenters. Probably won't be brewing until June sometime.

SkaBoneBenny said:
I'm graduating from college in a few hours. So, no brewing until the GF and I move into our summer sublet on June 1st. After that, however, it's brew time! :D
-Ben

Congratulations! What's your degree?

My daughter graduates from High School next week and then she's off to San Diego State University for BA in Marketing while rowing on Mission Bay.

Congratulations! What's your degree?

My daughter graduates from High School next week and then she's off to San Diego State University for BA in Marketing while rowing on Mission Bay.

My degree is in History with a minor in music. Wonderfully applicable to the real world!
Congradulations on your daughter, I'm sure she'll have a great time in San Diego!
-Ben

served up the brew last night at a Photohands daughters wedding, and Im off to the lake today for a bit of wakeboarding and fun in the sun. Maybe Ill throw a batch down wednesday.

JJ

Catfish said:

It's going to be too hot around here and I only have one fermentation chiller. need to build another one and get a small freezer (for ice storage...our freezer is always full of chicken) and I'll be set to brew all summer. maybe build a kegerator, too :)

Have 5 week old baby. Spent most of the weekend entertaining other daughter (3 years old). Managed to finally bottle BeastII though. Looks good. Have the ingrediants for walkersIPA but just did not have the time. Next weekend...

Because I have 9 cases of brew in the basement and I'm moving in a month and a half. The less I have to move the better. Other than the fees for my moving helpers that is. Need to do a 5 gal batch to keg for a pig roast come mid july tough. The SWMBO is gonna have my head. Oh well, she loves me and she'll get over it.

I'm already prepping for next weekend.

Just ordered ingredients for 10 gallons of a Bass Ale Clone. I've never even tasted Bass...but the ingredients looked good and I love Northern Brewer Hops.

BierMuncher said:
I'm already prepping for next weekend.

Just ordered ingredients for 10 gallons of a Bass Ale Clone. I've never even tasted Bass...but the ingredients looked good and I love Northern Brewer Hops.
this is a recipe I must have!!!!I LOVE Bass
JJ

Waiting for my Crankandstein! Didn't want to fool around with another small-order LHBS-ground batch, so I'm on hold until the mill gets here. THEN...it's a couple big sacks of grain and away I go! I've got 8 recipes lined up and waiting. Might have to find some more cornies...
:drunk:

Back