Secondary Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonCajda

Reaction score
Hi
I have a Oktoberfest that I've had in the secondary for two months, I'm about ready to bottle it in a few weeks. My question is will I have to add any yeast for carbination or is there still enough active yeast to start carbing. I haven't left a beer this long in a secondary.

Thanks

JasonCajda said:
Hi
My question is will I have to add any yeast for carbination or is there still enough active yeast to start carbing. Thanks

Your beer has enough or sufficient yeast to carbonate with the addition of corn sugar or dry malt extract....feel free to bottle and condition! Good luck!

Larry

homebrewer_99 said:
I've done 100 days in the secondary..., OK, not really ME in the secondary...:D

I had a friend who did 100 days, and alcohol WAS involved......

Seriously, you should have enough yeast to carbonate. However, if you are really worried and your beer is super clear, no harm will come if you add some yeast. You could add some yeast to your (cooled) priming solution, rack the beer into it and bottle. I probably would just bottle as is, and trust that there is still enough yeast. But when I did my maibock, I worried about it too.

The only thing I have added yeast too was my high gravity barley wines and my imperial Stouts, just because I felt like the yeast had been put through the ringer on the big beers. I had good luck with the Safale 56.
Now I secondary in a keg, force carbonate, and bottle with the Beer Gun...
I love my Beer Gun

I know this sounds crazy, but if your worried about there not being enough yeast then go to a store that sells childrens microscopes and check a sample of your brew. you can see the little dudes movin around. there should be around 30-50 little guys in the frame at 10 power. that will tell you whether or not there's enough yeast in suspension.

Thanks everyone, Never have left a beer in the secondary that long, so I wasn't sure. Now my mind is at ease, at least about this.

Back