Recipe from BeerSmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainingbullets

Reaction score
Hi yall

Been looking into all-grain recipes and I found this one on Beersmith that sounded interesting. Anyone ever try it? Thoughts?

The following is just copied and pasted from Beersmith....

Thanks!

Capt Smith Rye
Specialty, Experimental, Historical Beer

Type: All Grain
Date: 6/13/2003
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Jamie Ray
Boil Size: 6.00 gal Asst Brewer: Ed Terry
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 49.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes: Rye produces a complex flavored beer that is malty, fruty, and spicy, but slightly cereal in character. It finishes light clean and spicy. approx 6% alcohol content.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (1.6 SRM) Grain 79.21 %
2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 19.80 %
0.10 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 0.99 %
1.25 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 35.3 IBU
1.00 oz Spalter [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.00 gal Dallas, TX Water
1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.33 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 43.2 IBU Calories: 0 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 10.10 lb
Sparge Water: 4.30 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
40 min Saccharification Add 12.63 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Temperature mash for use when mashing in a brew pot over a heat source such as the stove. Use heat to maintain desired temperature during the mash.
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

I've never used that recipe per say, but I have made several Rye beers in the past (the recipe I used is actually quite similar to the one you posted), and they turned out great. I love rye bread, and being able to control the spiciness of the beer was quite enjoyable. I say if you like rye, go for it, just one word of caution. The rye does get quite gelatin and sticky in the mash, so watch your proportions. I've never used a grain bill with more than 20% rye, so the recipe looks good to use, however that depends on your AG setup. If you have a solid process and equipment you trust then you could start at 20% no problem, but if you are like me, I started at about 10% the first time to get a feel for it and worked my way up. Good luck!

Not trying to thread hijack but have you tried any of the recipes that come with Beersmith? I've looked at them but gone w/ recipes from on here instead.

Not trying to thread hijack but have you tried any of the recipes that come with Beersmith? I've looked at them but gone w/ recipes from on here instead.

Ya I've been looking at recipes in both places, HBT and beersmith. I liked the one in beersmith because it seemed simple, and rye beers are delicious.

I think I will take Rivercity's advice and tone down the rye a bit.

In reference to the recipe, is it really necessary to use the calcium chloride if I'm not any where near Dallas, TX?

In reference to the recipe, is it really necessary to use the calcium chloride if I'm not any where near Dallas, TX?

I think that really depends on your water chemistry, but is it necessary? I would say no... I use a charcoal filter, but when I made the beer last I didn't treat and just used de-chlorinated tap water.

If you do not normally manage your water hardness & relative alkalinity, then skip it. Just brew as you normally do, without it.

There are some cool things you can do for your beers with water treatment additions, but you need to know your local tap water report, salt addition effects, etc.

Good luck!
-lexuschris

If you do not normally manage your water hardness & relative alkalinity, then skip it. Just brew as you normally do, without it.

There are some cool things you can do for your beers with water treatment additions, but you need to know your local tap water report, salt addition effects, etc.

Good luck!
-lexuschris

Ya that's what I thought. The Sierra Nevada brewery here in Chico, CA doesn't seem to have a problem using the water...(although they probably treat it)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Back