Jalapeno Poppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
Tonight was a hot pepper night so I felt like making a few hor 'dourves for a couple of people. This is my infamous Jalapeno popper recipe...

This is a super easy (minus the pepper cutting) recipe for a tasty snack with some heat. Disclaimer: You might want help from a friend.

20-30 Jalapeno peppers
2 bricks of cream cheese
Fresh Chives
Onion powder
A few cloves of garlic
Flour
Milk
Italian bread crumbs

First off- The filling. Whip up the cream cheese with chopped garlic, chives, and onion powder. Cut top off of pepper, make lengthwise slit and clear seeds.
PDRM3313.jpg

Fill pepper with cream cheese filling, submerge in milk, roll and coat in flower, repeat. Roll pepper in bread crumbs coating the entire pepper, this may take one of two dips in the milk.
PDRM3315.jpg

Place coated peppers on a baking pan or cookie sheet and put on middle rack of pre-heated oven @400º for about 15-20 minutes, or until browned. (for large quantities to be frozen for future use, bake for about 10-15 minutes and then freeze)
PDRM3321.jpg

There ya go, easy peasy. Great balance between crunchy, creamy and heat(y).

Dunk it in your favorite dip, personally I like these with a raspberry based dip.

You just made my day, those are my absolute fav things in the world. as well as my SWMBO fav's I will be trying your recipe out friday night! Thanks:mug:

RICLARK said:
You just made my day, those are my absolute fav things in the world. as well as my SWMBO fav's I will be trying your recipe out friday night! Thanks:mug:

No problem, I would suggest making a bunch extra and freezing them because you know youll want more but dont want to go from scratch.

mr_stimey said:
No problem, I would suggest making a bunch extra and freezing them because you know youll want more but dont want to go from scratch.

I will for sure, I have been buying the Bulk Boxes from Sams Club but they only have the cheddar and they still only last like a week, I think Im gonna have a heart attack with all the bad food I eat but at least i will go out eating good food! Thanks Again:D

Yea these probably arent the healthiest things in the world, but at least they are baked instead of deep fried.

cubbies said:
How much onion powder to you use? Like a TBS or two?

How many garlic cloves? Two or so?

Well since it kind of depends on how many peppers your going to stuff for the quantity Ill just say for every 2 bricks of cream cheese, you want about 4 cloves of garlic and a heaping teaspoon of onion powder.

Not to dampen the spirit (new threads are needed from time to time to renew interest), but there is a really great thread here,with lots of great info.

carry on :D

Stimey those look great, definitly will have to give that a whirl.

Another spin is to fill them with plain cream cheese and once cooked dip them into cranberry sauce mashed into a relish.

Lookin' good! I make them pretty much the same way, only with bacon instead of chives :) Oh, and I found an egg wash gets the crumbs to stick better than milk, but that's just me.

And if I'm deep-frying wings in the dutch oven at the time, I'll do the poppers that way too. Hey, why not?

I perfer mine with chedder in the middle. I know that makes me some sort of heathen, but I'm OK with that.

adx said:
I perfer mine with chedder in the middle. I know that makes me some sort of heathen, but I'm OK with that.

I really like cheddar ones as well, general consensus was to make cream cheese ones this time though.

Ok here's the results. I made 30 Sunday night, and had a dozen left to take to work today.

Everyone loved them, and SWMBO said, "Tell who ever posted this recipe, THANK YOU! I LOVE them."

So as you can see, we really liked them here, even though I forgot to add chives.

I had some cheese mix left over, and picked up some won ton wrappers today, because someone at work thought that the cheese mix would be good in won tons. So I'm gonna try that tonight or tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the recipe!

mr_stimey said:
I really like cheddar ones as well, general consensus was to make cream cheese ones this time though.
I don't see why you couldn't mix a bit of shredded cheddar into the cream cheese mixture and get the best of both worlds!

I have a batch of stimey's original recipe cooking up in the oven right now. Can't wait!

Yuri_Rage said:
I don't see why you couldn't mix a bit of shredded cheddar into the cream cheese mixture and get the best of both worlds!

I have a batch of stimey's original recipe cooking up in the oven right now. Can't wait!

That is brilliant! I think i have to make these for the super bowl... mmmmmmmmmmmmm

SWMBO doesn't really enjoy eating an entire jalapeño, and the batch I just made was "way too hot" (her words, not mine). However, she really likes the commercially available poppers that usually don't contain an entire pepper.

Next time I'm going to slice the peppers lengthwise into thirds, and be careful to remove the white pith completely. Then I'll mound a generous portion of filling on each slice, bread it, and bake/fry. I think that should tone down the heat a few notches while keeping the wonderful flavor.

By the way, I LOVED THESE! I ate mine with a scoop of raspberry preserves on the side, and they were AWESOME!

Back