my good luck! (maybe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I was at my LHBS yesterday evening picking up a few things for my upcoming brewing frenzy. I was talking with the owner about different ingredients and hops. I expressed how citra hops were one of my favorite. He asked me if i would like some. He said he had a couple pounds of wet citra hops. I took them of course. He told me they were a couple weeks old.
I brought them home and opened the bag. They are the color of a paper bag, but when i cut one open the lupilin was still visible and they smelled very strong of citra.
Would you still use them?
I make 5 gal batches so how would be the best to store the rest of these hops so they dont go bad?

I was at my LHBS yesterday evening picking up a few things for my upcoming brewing frenzy. I was talking with the owner about different ingredients and hops. I expressed how citra hops were one of my favorite. He asked me if i would like some. He said he had a couple pounds of wet citra hops. I took them of course. He told me they were a couple weeks old.
I brought them home and opened the bag. They are the color of a paper bag, but when i cut one open the lupilin was still visible and they smelled very strong of citra.
Would you still use them?
I make 5 gal batches so how would be the best to store the rest of these hops so they dont go bad?

Dry them and freeze them, if they are still really good. If they are brown, I'd be hesitant to use them. Normally, you use wet hops right off of the vine.

Brown hops can be fine. At worst they may be weaker.

The fact that they are wet 3 weeks after picking is odd.

If they smell OK use them for bittering only.

I'd try a test batch first (half batch). Dry and freeze the rest. Whats the worst that can happen? A few gallons of not so great beer?

I know they should have been used fresh.
They are not wet anymore but they were never dried. They were stored in a walk in cooler. And they have turned brown.
I was going to brew a batch with them today.

I would treat them as if dry if they're dry to you....hard to tell without seeing.

Well i did treat them as dry.
The aroma was pretty good and tasted pretty good going into the fermentor.
Guess we will see in a couple weeks.

Lol..i was amazed at how much room just 3oz took up.
Yes they are tucked away nice and cozy in vacuum bags taking a frozen nap!

Back