Beer Swap III - Mutilated1's Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I stopped by UPS after work today and got your beers sent off. It was after hours before I dropped them off so it will be Monday probably before they get picked up and put in transit.

Anyway, I sent you each two 22oz beers, and two 12 oz beers.

In 22OZ.

No Sticker = Lager #1

Green Sticker = Lager #2

Yellow Sticker = Blonde Ale

In 12 oz, I sent you each a stout and a Pale Ale. I just bottled the 12oz bottles this week, so drink them last.

Hopefully Since you're each getting 4 different beers, that you'll find at least one of them that you like.

Mutilated1 said:
Hi Guys, I stopped by UPS after work today and got your beers sent off. It was after hours before I dropped them off so it will be Monday probably before they get picked up and put in transit.

Anyway, I sent you each two 22oz beers, and two 12 oz beers.

In 22OZ.

No Sticker = Lager #1

Green Sticker = Lager #2

Yellow Sticker = Blonde Ale

In 12 oz, I sent you each a stout and a Pale Ale. I just bottled the 12oz bottles this week, so drink them last.

Hopefully Since you're each getting 4 different beers, that you'll find at least one of them that you like.

I think I got 3 no stickers and a yellow sticker. Does that sound right?

Should have 1 22oz with no sticker, 1 22 oz with a yellow sticker, and then 2 12 ozs that don't have a sticker. The 22 oz with no sticker is a lager, the yellow sticker is a blonde, and the 12 ozs are a stout and a Pale Ale - I didn't mark those because you can look through the bottle and tell them apart. Try the 2 small bottles last, they were just bottled so let them sit another day or two maybe a week.

OK, my tasting partner and I tried the 22 ounce bomber with no sticker. I assume it's a lager but don't know the style. That said, I can give my impressions:

Aroma: Mild aroma with no esters or grassy-ness at all. No overt hops or malt, but There is a certain slight aroma (not unpleasant but unexpected) that I can't quite place. 7/12

Appearance- beautiful! Nice golden color with a gorgeous long lasting head. Very clear and the head texture is awesome! 3/3

Flavor: Well, this is a little different. I opened it very cold and the flavor at first was crisp with a bitter aftertaste. No diacetyl detected at the very cold temperature. I sipped very slowly, and as it warmed the bitter aftertaste changed to a much harsher tannic flavor. I didn't taste it at 40 degrees, but it's obvious now. It's not exactly husky or grainy- but a very dry lingering tannic aftertaste. It detracts from the beer only very slightly, though- because it's a good beer! and it wasn't even apparent when the beer was really cold. Now, my glass is empty and I'm wishing I had a little more. 11/20

Mouthfeel: These was nice- crisp, mild, with the perfect amount of carbonation that lasted until the end. 4/5

Impression: A well made beer with no noticeable flaws except for that tannic aftertaste that became apparent as the beer warmed. The only improvement I can think of is to see the recipe and try to determine where that's coming from. Otherwise, it seems to be a well made beer with some great qualities. 6/10

31/50.

Thanks- I liked trying this one!

Thanks for the review. Concerning the "tannic aftertaste". I've also noticed this after taste, and everyone else who tries it has made a similar comment about the strong aftertaste. I was kind of hoping you'd be able to help me identify the cause of the strong taste ?

One thing I know of is that I made that beer back in the summer and even though its supposed to be a lager, the best I could do on controlling the temperatures was 67 degrees or so. Another thing is that I made the beer from extract. Do you think that was likely the cause of the strong after taste ?

Mutilated1 said:
Thanks for the review. Concerning the "tannic aftertaste". I've also noticed this after taste, and everyone else who tries it has made a similar comment about the strong aftertaste. I was kind of hoping you'd be able to help me identify the cause of the strong taste ?

One thing I know of is that I made that beer back in the summer and even though its supposed to be a lager, the best I could do on controlling the temperatures was 67 degrees or so. Another thing is that I made the beer from extract. Do you think that was likely the cause of the strong after taste ?

No, it's probably not temperature related but I don't know that for sure. Is it possible that the grain husks were too finely ground? Or that the sparge water was too hot? That's actually what I thought of when I tasted it. If you post the recipe and technique, I might be able to pick it out.

Is it possible that the grain husks were too finely ground? Or that the sparge water was too hot?

I don't think thats a possibility because I made that beer from extract, and didn't use any grain or sparge water.

I had kind of assumed that the taste was the "extract twang" taste that you read people post about ?

Mutilated1 said:
I had kind of assumed that the taste was the "extract twang" taste that you read people post about ?

No, it's definitely not "extract twang". That is more sweetly sryup-y twanging. The flavor in your beer was most definitely tannic. Did you use only extract? What kind of yeast?

Maybe your water?

From Palmer:

Astringent
Astringency differs from bitterness by having a puckering quality, like sucking on a tea bag. It is dry, kind of powdery and is often the result of steeping grains too long or when the pH of the mash exceeds the range of 5.2 - 5.6. Oversparging the mash or using water that is too hot are common causes for exceeding the mash pH range. It can also be caused by over-hopping during either the bittering or finishing stages. Bacterial infections can also cause astringency, i.e. vinegar tones from aceto bacteria.

The brown scum that forms during fermentation and clings to the side of the fermentor is intensely bitter and if it is stirred back into the beer it will cause very astringent tastes. The scum should be removed from the beer, either by letting it cling undisturbed to the sides of an oversize fermentor, or by skimming it off the krausen, or blowing off the krausen itself from a 5 gallon carboy. I have never had any problems by simply letting it cling to the sides of the fermentor.

Yes, I used only extract. The yeast was whatever yeast came with the Munton's kit.

This ( http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/countries/uk/prem_lager.htm ) and 2 #s of rice syrup solids were the only ingredients.

I don't expect that its my water because several other beers I've made with different water have the similar strong aftertaste, and some that I've made with the same water didn't. The one thing the ones that had a strong aftertaste did have in common was that the extract came out of a can, thats sort of why I was assuming it was the "extract twang" I was dealing with.

Is it the same kind of extract? I've used a variety of extracts in the past, and none of them had that particular taste. Hmmm. I don't know, then. I will try another one of the beers you sent tomorrow (son has basketball game tonight) and see if it's in there, too.

Ok, lager #2. (Green circle sticker on the cap)

Aroma: Slightly fruity aroma with no notable hop notes. 6/12

Appearance: Again, a very nice looking beer! nice head and perfect carbonation. A coppery clear color that is really nice to look at. No lacing, and the head disapated quickly. 2/3

Flavor: There is a slight sour note (lactic acid?) that detracts from the flavor but it is subtle. There is a slight estery note and balance between malt and hops so that neither predominate. It's not as clean and crisp as expected, but it actually tastes good. I don't taste the tannic notes present in the other lager I sampled. There is no hint of diacetyl. The taste is good, except for that slight sourness. I wouldn't guess this a lager, though, do to the slight esters I detect and actually enjoy! 7/20

Mouthfeel: Not as crisp as expected but otherwise very nice. The carbonation level is perfect. 3/5

Overall impression: Well, I think this is a well made beer. It's pleasant to drink, but with a distinct sour taste to it that detracts from it. It is a little fruity to me, and I wouldn't have guessed it to be a lager. But it is still enjoyable, especially when it was very cold from the refrigerator. 5/10

I did NOT get the tannic finish the other beer had, so that seems to be a different issue that is resolved now. The only flaw in this beer is the sourness. I suspect the very beginning of a lactic acid infection. Without that sourness, I think this beer would be very good and very drinkable. As it is, it's still enjoyable. The sourness is not really overpowering at all, and I was able to finish it just fine!

Thanks for the beer! I've enjoyed trying them.

Thanks for the review. I think you might like the Ale in the smaller bottle, just judging from the beers you sent me to taste, I think that one might be more to your liking.

Mutilated1 said:
Thanks for the review. I think you might like the Ale in the smaller bottle, just judging from the beers you sent me to taste, I think that one might be more to your liking.

Oh, I liked these!!!!! I will try the others, too. I like all beers as a rule (except wheats). My favorites are IIPAs and IPAs (as you noticed!) but I make a drink a variety. Thanks for the beers- I really liked them.

Incidently, there are definitely different flavors in these beers. NOT the same tannic taste at all. This one seemed to have a darker color and an extract flavor that I picked up on that wasn't in the first. Nothing wrong with extract beers at all- but I definitely picked it up. I'd love to try another of your AG beers just to see the difference. These are well made beers.

Canadian Blonde

Initial Impression: Very strong pop to bottle, started foaming out the neck. Deep golden to Honey in color, Strong white head. Slightly cloudy, maybe more settling time?

Aroma: Crisp malt nose, light spice, fruity esters come out as it warms. No hop aroma as per style.

Flavor: Malt flavor persists, with a slight diacytle coating in the mouth. Small hop flavor that turns fruity as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Light body with moderately high carbonation. Finished very dry.

Overall Impression: Had low head retention, perhaps some wheat or carapils to help with that. Finished crisp more like a Kolsch. Would like to see this with a bit less carbonation, as the second pour was much better.

Cheers

Thanks for reviewing. I'm going to make this beer again when I get a fermenter free, I think I can do better with the temps and maybe avoid the diacytle, and I'm sure I can do better on the carbonation too. I carbed with Cooper's carbonation drops and I wasn't sure how many to use for a 220z bottle, so half the bottles got 2 drops and the other half got 1 drop. I guess you must have gotten one of the 2 drop bottles.

Back