India pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benkrupt

Reaction score
Hi there,
Anyone have a good India pale ale recipe?
First time brewing and would love a drinkable beer. What sort of water do u use as well?
Any help would be appreciated

I LOVE my DFH 60 minute clone (recipe under my avatar, or in the recipe database under IPAs), but it might be hard to source amarillo right now. If you can find both simcoe and amarillo, I promise it's a great IPA!

If your tap water tastes ok use it. I run mine through a carbon filter because my tap water tastes like a public swimming pool. Spring water is ok or bottled water would be fine. Avoid distiller water. Hope this helps.

Distilled water is okay - some would even say preferable - if you're brewing extract based beers. If you're mashing, then you should not use distilled water. Rule of thumb is if your municipal water is good to drink, then it should make good beer. One of the most common issues with municipal water is chlorine/chloramine. If your water tastes even just a little "chlorine-y," this can get magnified during the fermentation process, producing medicinal off-flavors. The traditional method of removing chlorine by boiling the water or letting it stand overnight will not remove chloramine, which is the preferred disinfectant for many municipal water sources. Both chlorine and chloramine can be removed by carbon filters (including Pur, Brita, etc.) and Campden tablets.

I use Deer Park. It's cheap and produces some great AG beers for me. Including a number of IPAs

How much is this adding to your bill though? I don't buy bulk bottled water but I'd imagine it's pricey. You're just buying 1 gallon jugs of water at the store? Interesting.

I'm new to this but have used filtered water from the grocery store. Cost about $9 for the first 6 gallons, but I kept the jugs and refil them for about $0.39 per gallon so cost isn't bad.

I'm new to this but have used filtered water from the grocery store. Cost about $9 for the first 6 gallons, but I kept the jugs and refil them for about $0.39 per gallon so cost isn't bad.

Noted. thanks! I have VERY soft well water and I live about 1 hour from the nearest city so I'm out in the middle of nowhere as well is my only water. I'm very lucky that my water is nearly perfect. Others aren't so lucky though.

I may try a bottled water batch to see if I can taste a difference.

I buy drinking water from wal-mart. Only a $1 for nestle pure life or I buy the wal-mart brand for under a buck. If and when I buy my own house I'll add a purifying system for the whole house.

How much is this adding to your bill though? I don't buy bulk bottled water but I'd imagine it's pricey. You're just buying 1 gallon jugs of water at the store? Interesting.

I buy RO from wally world for $.37/gal and add minerals back in. Take my 5 gal jugs in and fill them from the Culligan machine

Back