Preparing for Brew Day from Washed Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlanier01

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im really looking for techniques to use when preparing washed yeast for a brew day. My yeast has been in cold storage for a week, and I believe everything is healthy inside. I looked for videos, threads, etc... But would appreciate any tips you may have.

Do you simply let your washed yeast warm up to room temperature, shake, settle and direct pitch?
Is there any reason to go from washed yeast back to a starter?

If you aren't doing a big beer and the yeast was washed a week ago then you will be fine w/o doing a starter. I would pull the yeast from the fridge at the beginning of your brew day, decant the liquid, swirl the yeast, and leave at room temp until you are ready to pitch.

^^^^Had great success doing just this on beers with an OG of <1.050. With bigger beers you may consider using some dme to make a quick starter a few hours before you start brewing.

If you aren't doing a big beer and the yeast was washed a week ago then you will be fine w/o doing a starter. I would pull the yeast from the fridge at the beginning of your brew day, decant the liquid, swirl the yeast, and leave at room temp until you are ready to pitch.

Well that depends on how much washed yeast the OP has. I have had times where I got 10mL of yeast and times where I got 100mL. It really just depends. I think the more accurate answer is to go to MrMalty, determine how much slurry you would need, approximate how much slurry you have and pitch accordingly. He probably has enough, but hard to say without details.

I always do a starter with my washed yeast, not just to grow cells, but to ensure the viability of the sacc. It gives me peace of mind and it only takes a few minutes to put it together.

+1 on MrMalty

the amount of slurry is important, of course, and its age..feed this data to MrMalty, and he will reveal the answer...try to get the yeast to room temp (65-70) on brewing day..temp shock is something to avoid

If less than a week or so, and you have enough slurry for the size beer you are brewing, then no starter required..but check w/Mr Malty if you are doing a huge beer

FWIW, I have had great success using starters on yeast > 3 weeks old ..best was some WLP550 which was over 1 year old..had to step it up, but the beer was great.

Back