Anyone used cardamom in a brew yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinPig

Reaction score
I've got a recipe (Wit) that I'm looking at adding some cardamom. It will likely be a small amount, given how strong the spice is (thinking 1/2 oz for 10 gallon batch, maybe a little more).

My question is two fold: has anyone used cardamom in a brew? If so, how much?

Secondly, which type of cardamom did you use: green, white or black?

Thanks!

i've used it a few times- the pods that the seeds are in are sometimes green and sometimes white (i think when they are drier- we cook with it a lot), but the little seeds inside are always black, in my experience. i usually use like two or three pods- so maybe like a couple dozen little seeds. it can be a pretty strong flavor, unless you are used to it- kind of like anise.

edmanster said:
Used the black and did crush it.. I only put 9 seeds in with a 1/2oz of coriander and it overwhelmed it.. That was a 5gal batch of wit..

Not that coriander is hard to overwhelm. I usually use 1oz of coriander per 5 gal and the flavor is very trace even when its the only spice being used.

Thanks for the info. I'll post my recipe and results when I get everything finalized!

I used cardomom powder, can't remember what color in my pumpkin ale. I think it was a teaspoon for 5g batch and I didn't think it was overpowering but there were alot of other spices in there as well.

If you'll notice, the majority of the posts on this forum involving cardamom also usually contain the words "too much" lol.
Take it from someone who knows, a little goes a long way.

Smash it. My wife and I use the green in chai all the time. It has a soft, calm flavor, so I think you'll want to be careful on your carbonation levels. Too spritzy will really clash. Also, consider balancing that flavor with spicy hops. Just my thoughts. I hate the flavor of cinnamon in beer though, so I don't know if I can be trusted. Ha.

Got a Noble BoPils with it dry hopping right now...and everyone is spot on, VERY strong aroma. I threw a few other spices in as well to help balance it...I hope. I'm guessing the lagering gave it time to mellow as well.

Green cardamom, along with vanilla and saffron, is among the most expensive spices on Earth. It's very high quality when bought whole, ground fresh and used within a year. For use in beer, I would lightly toast the seeds then crack them coarsely with a rolling pin. Boil the spice in the wort during the last 5 minutes. You'll recognize it immediately as the signature aroma/flavor of Chai Tea. Other compatible spices include: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, clove, ginger, brown sugar.

Thought of this thread when I was reading an article from Saveur, a food magazine I subscribe to, about Belgian breweries. One of the descriptions of an ale, Alvinne Balthazar, reads, "A strong ale brewed with coriander, cardamom, and ginger, which add a bittersweet depth to other tastes: smoke, tang, and licorice." For what it's worth, those three together plus some spicy Belgian yeast might make a good match. No idea on other specifics about the beer.

Mmmmm, cardamon, cinnamon and cloves in a hoppy beer. chaIPA anybody? This does sound interesting. I may have to brew a 1gal test batch this weekend

Lol, Chai PA would be better I think. Those spices crave for a little more malt than hops. But if I were to use them in an IPA, it would be for an English IPA.

Cardamom is used to freshen breath in India. I used it in some cider and it overpowered the taste. Almost like an apple flavored gum quality. Use less than 1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallon batch

Nice, using your first post to revive a 4-and-a-half-year-old thread! Lol!

But since you did, I'll mention that black cardamom has a more pungent, smoky, and (to me) more medicinal quality to it, while green cardamom is more straightforward warm and spicy (though still very potent). So to anyone else who is wondering which to use in a brew, I'd really suggest at least going to a spice store and sniffing each one, or maybe buying some and trying each one in cooking.

Thanks you. Cardmom is such a topic I had to comment on this first so no one else would make the mistake I did! I used green cardamom, and I used about two pods crushed in my cider. The taste mellowed a bit after time and my next tasting will be next month in February 2016. It seems to be aging like wine! Very little carbonation but it has increased from last month.

I use the green cardamom in my gruit as a little secret ingredient to add a certain something. I love it. I wouldn't use entire pods. Just a dozen of the tiny seeds crushed and steeped in an ounce of vodka will be enough for a subtle pleasant flavor in 5 gallons. You could use a few more for a stronger flavor but I would exercise restraint. If you're not sure how much to use, take a guess and then only use about 1/3 as much as you thought because the average human mind cannot comprehend the power of the spice.

Agreed. One thing to be aware of is that you want to use the seeds, not the pods themselves. The pods add serious astringency. I have a store-bought tea blend that has the skins of the pods in it, and it is absolutely undrinkable. It smells fantastic, but the taste is so astringent, bitter, and dry/medicinal that I can't finish one mug of the stuff. Definitely no good for beer. Use seeds only!

Latest posts

Back