why use pumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
Well this question might reflect my ignorance or noobness but i am trying to step to all grain and really enjoy brewing indoors for quite a few reasons, going electric i was reading pots and pumps are a large expense. Using keggles to reduce cost would i be able to weld up a single tier table with three scissor type lifts to utilize gravity as a means of transfer? would this work, what is the benefit of using pumps other than them being a means to a totally automated system?

I think you have a neat idea kosmokramer. My only concern would be the lifting of very heavy tanks filled with hot liquid. It would be difficult to make it a safe rig. You would have to add a lot of weight to the base to ensure it wouldn't topple over. I would also consider adding a way to make sure it is level before you jack up a kettle.

I was think something like one of these modifieed a bit. I work for the railroad and we use the to lift valves that weigh about 150, at about 8 pounds per gallon plus the weight of a keggle should never exceed 200 pounds. These lift level and doesnt look like two much modification would me needed other that removing casters and perhaps welding a plate to the tranny lift as a tabletop. If i weld up an overall rig of 16 gauge inch or inch and a half tubing with heavy duty casters to accomodate i think it would be pretty stable. Am i missing anything, is the general idea plausible?

http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-lift-table-94822.html

I still think the whole rig should have a way of leveling. It doesn't matter if the keggle is level unless the rig itself is level first.

true! hmmm, i operate a crain when im not rebuilding valves and our small 15 ton crane uses 2 simple 1 inch sight glasses as means of determining level. mabe instead of casters using adgustable feet in combination with sight glass to manipulate degree of level as each table is lifted and for added assurance? other than stability Paymygasbill77 does the idea make sense?

How about casters and feet that screw in and out. You can move the feet all the way up to move the rig and lower them to level it.

The other thing I would include is a means of dumping your mash tun.

I love the idea but is this cheaper and more reliable than just buying the pump?

The brew sculpture I am building is an electric 3 tier gravity rig with an arm and pully system at the top so I can safely and easily lift my keggles over my head.

I am also making it so all the pieces can be bolted together and taken apart for easy storage.

So you are using gravity rather than pumps as well huh? why would you need an arm and pully system if it is 3 tiered? Do you have any photos?

I have a bad back and it doesn't feel like lifting the keggles up and down a ladder. I just started building it yesterday and I don't have any pictures as of yet. I will post some when I get around to it.

cool, im pretty new to brewing and already know i have found a life long hobby, im also a new homeowner and a grad student so as much as i want my bad ass rig now, it may take me a bit. I do have a bunch of 1 1/2" 2" and 5/8" tubing laying around from the gate i just had to make so i can at least get started with something.

it seems like a cool idea but i dont think it will be comparable to using pumps both moneywise an ease of operation

im not opposed to using pumps, im just looking at the cheapest and easiest route of build and operation. definitely open to all suggestions

When you get it working you need to post some pics. I think you have a great Idea and the rest of HBT should see it.

thanks, im think 89 bucks for the tranny lift with the 20 percent coupons i get every week will be about 60 per lift and will eliminate priming cleaning pumps as well as the additional draw on my already stressed panel. will def keep you informed and id appreciate if you'd do the same with your build!

I thought about doing this....but the end cost was so close to buying pumps...and pumps offer more versatility as far as doing some sort of adjustable mash temperature setup, whirlpooling the worth for cooling and beer transfer. Doesn't really matter since I'm broke anyways. Lol

Well this question might reflect my ignorance or noobness but i am trying to step to all grain and really enjoy brewing indoors for quite a few reasons, going electric i was reading pots and pumps are a large expense. Using keggles to reduce cost would i be able to weld up a single tier table with three scissor type lifts to utilize gravity as a means of transfer? would this work, what is the benefit of using pumps other than them being a means to a totally automated system?

Buying a pump is easier than welding tables with scissor lifts. And, probably safer, cheaper, smaller, easier to move around, and useful for multiple functions.

The part I don't understand about rigging up a system like this is that you end up spending more than the pumps cost. Especially if you value your time.

Not to mention safety and ease of use is always in favor of a pump rather than scalding hot liquid above ones head.

Buy a pump so you save yourself money and time.

Ok... so there are a bunch of negative comments, not sure why?

I love this idea!! I enjoy my 3 tier system because I dont suck down my mash and I can gravity feed everything. Yes a pump would be nice to recirculate mash or create a whirlpool, but you have other bennifits from gravity less stuck mashes, smooth easy continious sparging, and everything is controlled by 2 valves.

Keep us posted on the progress I would like to do something similar so I dont have to lift my brew kettle after cooling to transfer into the fermenter.

I did this by making a lift on my convertible 3/2 tier rack. I used a boat winch and made an elevator with cable and four pulleys prior to buying a pump about 10 years ago. Worked great for gravity powered brews by dropping the boil kettle almost to the floor during spathe and the raising it up above carboy height after chilling. I'll attempt to attach a photo that does not really show this...

e657b624.jpg

Dert said:
I did this by making a lift on my convertible 3/2 tier rack. I used a boat winch and made an elevator with cable and four pulleys prior to buying a pump about 10 years ago. Worked great for gravity powered brews by dropping the boil kettle almost to the floor during spathe and the raising it up above carboy height after chilling. I'll attempt to attach a photo that does not really show this...

On the left, you can see the BK that is adjustable in height. Huge PITA, but it did work. Bought a pump and have not looked back; now the BK remains in the up position. I use a grant, but always shove the tube from the MLT into the fitting and suck the spathe along... much faster and with my new 1/10th March pump, can recirc and sparge in about 10 minutes for a 12 gal. batch.

Let me know if you want better pics!

I'm with you, Man! Don't need no stinken pumps!

I fill my HLT with a hose, no lifting.
Drain into my Mashtun, no lifting
Sparge into multiple 5 gal buckets, no lifting.

Pour the buckets back into the HLT, and presto! it's a boiler!
(OK, some lifting here, but I can control it by using more buckets.)

Boil and drain into 6gal better bottles, or the fermenter of your choice.

I do 10 gal batches without a pump and never a backache!

e657b624.jpg

I see. You use a large boat winch to rotate the entire room in order to pour the contents out of the keggles? Nice :mug:

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys, i need to get some sanke kegs or tamale pots and rig them up to with some heating elements and then the sculpture will come in, i want to only do this once so im trying to do all the research i can beforehand.

I have never seen another like it, I over engineered this a long time ago and never use this feature! Get a pump!

Back