First time using Safale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periwinkle1239

Reaction score
I've strictly used liquid yeast and starters, but this weekend I was hoping to use an 11.5 gram packet of Safale US-05 that I have. Do you think a single packet will be ok for a 1.072 OG American IPA I'll be brewing? I was going to rehydrate as well. According to Mr. Malty I should actually be pitching something around 1.2 packets. Should I go get another to be safe? Problem is, the LHBS by me doesn't have US-05 (they have an awful selection). I've been ordering almost all my supplies online since you know you're getting good and fresh stuff from places like NB and AHS.

Which leads to another question, anyone know of a good home brew store in the St. Louis area? There's a place in Chesterfield which I've been meaning to check out...maybe I'll swing over there after work and get another 05 if they have it and pitch it.

I'd just rehydrate and pitch one packet. Mr. M is just a guide and a well done pitch will be fine.

If Mr. Malty suggests 1.2 packets, just take one packet and make a good 24 hour starter, and you should be fine.

its not recommended to make starters with dry yeast

I wouldn't say it's not recommended. A starter is usually not required with dry yeast as the pack contains enough cells for "normal" brews. You can certainly make a starter if you want to though.

To the OP, it will be fine if you just rehydrate the one pack but it would be better if you had a bit more yeast. If you can't find any more, don't worry about it.

I wouldn't say it's not recommended. A starter is usually not required with dry yeast as the pack contains enough cells for "normal" brews. You can certainly make a starter if you want to though.

perhaps, not recommended wasn't the best phrasing, but per mr malty:

" Another case where you generally don't want to make a starter is with dry yeast. It is usually cheaper and easier to just buy more dry yeast than it would be to make a starter large enough for most dry yeast packs. Many experts suggest that placing dry yeasts in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the yeast manufacturer worked so hard to build into their product. For dry yeasts, just do a proper rehydration in tap water, do not make a starter "

I like seeing quotes from somebody who barely brewed for almost two years, and continually contradicts what he says, being taken as gospel. The guy has not produced any empirical evidence, either way, of the results he passes off as fact. I'm talking of Jamil of course. He has good ideas and theories, but they are just that. For crying out loud, he was only brewing for about five years before he started writing books. Making a buck off of little knowledge perhaps??? I think so. Granted he did study microbiology, but not for brewing.

perhaps, not recommended wasn't the best phrasing, but per mr malty:

" Another case where you generally don't want to make a starter is with dry yeast. It is usually cheaper and easier to just buy more dry yeast than it would be to make a starter large enough for most dry yeast packs. Many experts suggest that placing dry yeasts in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the yeast manufacturer worked so hard to build into their product. For dry yeasts, just do a proper rehydration in tap water, do not make a starter "
$3+ for a pack of dry yeast versus <$1.50 for DME for a starter...hmmmmmmm

true but Jamil has won the Ninkasi award twice as well as ton of BOS in different competitions. That gives creditability to his advice. Also, homebrewing is dependent upon experience and you find what works best - so having empirical evidence to justify your processes isn't really necessary.

Thanks for the responses. Not sure if I will make a starter or not. I think I might just try without one; starters with dry yeast would be going against the grain (no pun intended) from what I've read.

What's the worse that could happen? - I end up with a slightly higher FG then intended. The OG is pretty high to begin with (this is indeed an extract recipe) that I don't think I'm worried about it too much.

Thanks again for the opinions and advice.

I would just aerate well and rehydrate the 1 yeast packet. Might be a little slower to start but I have had success using i pack of rehydrated US-05 on larger gravity brews, assuming you are just brewing a 5 gallon batch.

Where in St. Louis do you live? I actually go to Dave's Homebrew in Belleville, IL. THe people are great and they always have great selection. Plus their 50lbs bags of Pale malt are only like $55. If you are just doing basic recipes or need basic equipment, go to Friar Tuck's on Watson road. They have a decent amount of dry yeast, the basics on liquid yeast and hops, and base/specialty grains.

Back