Very active fermentation - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epcgordy

Reaction score
I brewed my first AG IPA on Saturday, and the results so far have been pretty amazing. I had an OG of 1.062, which is quite a bit higher than the 1.040 - 1.050 brews I've been doing. I pitched Wyeast 1332 NW Ale Yeast that I had slanted, and built up a starter from. I had the fastest starting, and most vigorous fermentation I've experienced yet. I had airlock activity in less than 3 hours, and by the next morning, the krausen was trying to eject the airlock altogether.

Since this was the first time I built up a starter form this yeast, as well as the first IPA I've done, it got me wondering if the huge amount of activity was a more a result of the type of yeast, the starter, or just the higher gravity than I've been used to.

Any thoughts?

It's a combination of a good yeast starter and the higher gravity.
+1

When you are growing from a slant you are getting the freshest yeast possible, no chance of heat damage or extend shelf live effecting viability, and like me you probably where a bit nervous about getting enough yeast so you calculate and calculate how much you need vice other people by a vial/pack and make a starter and pitch not really think about the process of how viable the yeast are etc etc.

I call my yeast farm my pets (yes you guys and my wife think I'm insane) but if you look after you yeast, then they look after you!

Clem

In general then, would you expect more/faster activity as the OG gets higher? This wasn't the first brew using this yeast, just the first one built up from a slant. since previous brews were tame by comparison, I'm wondering if I should use a different yeast the next time I make this recipe. I've never had anything like this using the 1056.

I just did my first batch with slanted yeast WLP001, it was a 10 gallon batch and the final step was 2.6L starter (biggest bottle I could find to make it in was 3L) It blew off everywhere, I had it in a pan of water just in case this happened. It also is the most active fermentation I have had.

Clem

Latest posts

Back