Couple of insect ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
So tonight i looked through my two cascade hops plants. I found a few baby praying mantis's and a few spiders, so that's cool. However I found some things I'm not sure of. I found a few small katydids. I've researched a little and get conflicting info on whether they will do more harm than good. Any insight?

Also I found some of these little buggers. Not sure what they are, but they look like they're carrying little pieces of cotton around, most likely some sort of web for eggs. Any insight here? I'm thinking about capturing the praying mantis's and keeping them alive, spraying with insecticide tomorrow and moving forward. Good idea or bad idea in your opinion? FYI I'm in Central Ohio.

mystery_insect_1.jpg

mystery_insect_2.jpg

I'd be careful with the insecticide. You can't use very strong pesticides, as you'll be consuming the hops. I've been told insecticidal soap is just about the strongest you really want to be using to spray them.

DO NOT treat your plants with insecticde for leafhoppers!!!! Here are just some reasons:

1. They do practically no damage! (A few dots on your leaves is not even worth worrying about)

2. They don't leave your plants with sooty mold like aphids do.

3. When you spray them, they just fly somewhere else.

4. They are a roaming insect, and the whole population from your neighbourhood will just replace whatever you kill.

Seriously, it is just not worth it.

DO NOT treat your plants with insecticde for leafhoppers!!!! Here are just some reasons:

1. They do practically no damage! (A few dots on your leaves is not even worth worrying about)

2. They don't leave your plants with sooty mold like aphids do.

3. When you spray them, they just fly somewhere else.

4. They are a roaming insect, and the whole population from your neighbourhood will just replace whatever you kill.

Seriously, it is just not worth it.

I've lost 4 tips off my bines the last week or so. So these are not the culprit? 2 have been completely chewed off to the stem and the other two basically just dried up and stopped growing.

BradleyBrey, no they are not the culprit for that kind of damage. Leafhopper are in the Homoptera insect order, which means they have piercing/sucking mouthparts, and physically cannot chew plants. Keep looking for the actual culprit.

thats what I thought... hmmm I found a few dead beatles on my big chinook hop leafs where I have begun to spray. Maybe they have been dining on the tender parts of the plants.

Back