Mayhaw Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddieboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm giving this one a shot today.

My first born is due at the end of the month and since mayhaws are typically harvested in May i figured this would be a good brew to celebrate with. For those not familiar with Mayhaws, they are similar to a cranberry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhaw

.5# Caramel 20L Steeped
1# DME
6.5 # LME
1 Cup of white table sugar

2.5 oz Strisselspalt @ 60
.5 oz Strisselspalt @ 15
1 oz Coriander @ 5
1 Gram Grains of Paradise @ 5

WLP 565 Saison

1 quart (give or take) of fresh Mayhaw juice in primary. I was also thinking about hitting it with some Brett but I may save that for the second batch next weekend.

Anyone have any input?

wow suppose this would turn out like a lambic? im going to have to find these mayhaws i would like to brew a wine from them

Mayhaws are sour with a low sugar content. Could make a good wine, though. You should have some out in Texas. Maybe near Louisiana? They need really wet areas to grow.

I dropped the orange peel from the recipe thinking the mayhaws would add enough citrus. I also added about one cup table sugar to the recipe and just added the mayhaw juice to the primary. It tastes pretty darn good.

My OG was 1.05. We shall see.

You really used 0.5 ozs (14 grams) of seed of paradise?

I used 1 gram in a Saison I brewed today.

Back