Willamette Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betch

Reaction score
I seem to be getting a VERY woody flavor from using Willamette hops in some recent brew. I used the hops as the bitter and flavoring with German Ale/Krolsh yeast(WLP 029). I like the hops just not the overall flavor. Should I use the WIllamette with Fuggle or Perle/Saaz? Has anyone got the same flavor from using total Willamette hops? :confused:

nope, willamette has always given me a very very minty flavor. I love it in darker brews. Ive gotten woody from chinook but never willamette.

Was is it from the same batch of Willamette or from different batches? I had what seemed like an 'off' batch of Mt. Hood for a recent lager and it really had an off taste. I brewed the same batch again with a new batch of Mt. Hood and it came out great!

I was a all grain with the sparge temp at 170. The grain bill was 2-row, crystal 10, crystal 40, carpils, and honey malt. This was a 10 gallong batch that was split at ferment. The other 5 was with Belgium yeast and it fermented out quick and tasted good. This batch took 2+ weeks to stop airlock activity and when I kegged on Friday the FG was 1.015. The only other off part was the mash temp was only 148 because of MLT issues. But the SG was only off by 1 point. I am still confused as to the issue maybie its the combo of the hops and yeast flavor? But it has turned out much better before with same recipe?:mad:

WLP029 takes nearly forever to flocc out, and the yeasty taste it gives is very nasty. Unless the beer has dropped clear, I bet you are tasting the yeast. Let it lager for six weeks and try it again.

I thought willamette was supposed to have a "woody, earthy flavor" as upposed to saaz which would be more "spicy"?.?.

Back