Label Paper Smears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruntingfrog

Reaction score
I bought some "Professional Label Making Paper" from my LHBS. There's no real brand name on it, but it has a copyright for ABS, Inc. and a tiger on the example label.

Anyway, I printed on it with my inkjet printer, but of course, when I moistened the paper, I ended up smearing the ink. Has anyone found a way to use this stuff with ink jet printers? :confused:

I used Avery 2x4 mailing labels on my first two batches, but I like the idea of being able to make them in custom shapes and sizes.

I've heard a few people say that you can spray the labels with some sort of laquer from a hardware store to seal it up before wetting and applying to a bottle. Others claim hairspray will also work.

I've never done it. I have always used a laser printer for labels.

That stuff only works in a laser printer. Its what I used to use. The freedom to size your own is cool, but the cutting, wetting, sticking..resticking (they don't stick well) sucked.

Now I am using Avery smudge free injet labels.:)

-Todd

I used those with an inkjet and didn't have any problems. I did to the clear laquer trick though. It works best if you put a couple of coats on. It gives it a cool look too.

I found "Permafix Inkjet Fixative" online. I'll see if Staples has it on my way home.

Permafix.jpg

We had this topic before. Someone said that it was not the label that was the problem, but the ink. The use of waterproof ink will solve the problem (or so he had said). I am assuming a printer that can do photos will not have a problem.

I would especially recommend Epson inkjet photo printers, possibly Canon as well. I've seen Epson photos soaked in water and come out looking fresh as a daisy.

Though, of course, the quality of the paper matters a whole bunch too. Not sure what the range of qualities is on labels.

Back