What off-flavors should I be looking for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricS

Reaction score
I left my Anchor Steam clone in the primary for 7 weeks, (have been extremely busy and just plain lazy). Last night I decided to just keg it and skip the secondary. What kind of off-flavors should I be looking for from sitting on the yeast cake for so long?

You should be ok as long as your airlock was intact and the temps did not fluctuate too much. Autolysis (sp?) should not be a problem as long as your fermentation temps where ok. I had one sit for 5 weeks on its cake and it was ok and my temps are always all over the place.

My temps were pretty constant around 64 degrees. How do you know if you have Autolysis.

don't worry about it. your beers fine.

it would taste like burnt rubber according to john palmer:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-3.html

but he also states (which is true by my experience):

I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

don't concern yourself

Autolysis = badly backed-up sewer, cesspool, sticking your head in a methane digester. I left a yeast cake on the back porch for three months during the summer. Believe me, you would know.

Seven weeks in the primary, at controlled temperatures, is not a problem. In fact, if you rack it carefully, you should be able to force carbonate & put it online.

Autolysis = badly backed-up sewer, cesspool, sticking your head in a methane digester. I left a yeast cake on the back porch for three months during the summer. Believe me, you would know.

Seven weeks in the primary, at controlled temperatures, is not a problem. In fact, if you rack it carefully, you should be able to force carbonate & put it online.

I left my mash cooler( filled with grain ) out in the Florida sun for 8 days, I wonder which one smelled worse:eek:

Back