cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
Ale with SF05

What is the ideal crash temp?
How long to crash?
Bottle @ crash temp or warm to ferm temp 1st?

Thanks.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/cold-crashing-142168/

The answers are there but ill give you mine too: cold crashing is to get yeast out of suspension to get clearer beer. Get it as cold as you can for about 3 days at least. You don't need to warm it back up, but just keep in mind when you prime it for bottling that you don't have near boiling water with the dextrose and then add your beer directly to it. You'll want it to cool off a little first.

My opinion, homebrew is homebrew, it doesn't have to look amazing. Cheers

My process :

Add gelatin and crash to 32F.
Wait four days.
Bottle cold.
No need to cool down the boiled priming sugar...no reason to do this unless you are making a 1g batch. Even then it probably wouldn't matter.

Good luck. I highly recommend using gelatin with crashing. Get a box of Knox unflavored from your grocery store. I get very clear beer every time.

I like to crash it to below 36*F for 5-7 days.

I usually harvest yeast, so I don't use gelatin in the primary. I add it to the keg after racking the cold beer out of the primary.

How much gelatin per 5 gals?

Do you boil it?

Do you mix it into the beer?

in the two batches i have down, no gelatin, but cold crashed for 3-4 days and put in the priming solution around 70F and didn't warm up the cold crashed beer. turned out great and clear...here is a pic. this is from the 1st week and it got clearer after the 3rd week of bottling.

20130709_203718.jpg

My process. I put tin foil over the lid on my bucket or Carboy and stick it in the fridge for 3 day to a week.

How much gelatin per 5 gals?

Do you boil it?

Do you mix it into the beer?

I use about 1 tablespoon. I boil a small canning jar of water in the microwave (1-2 min) then let it cool slightly. Add the gel and stir. Wait 5-10 minutes then dump into beer and chill. You don't want to boil the gelatin.

Back