Carbing while cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmat123

Reaction score
I ferment all of my beer in corny kegs, cold crash for 3-4 days and then use a jumper to transfer to serving keg. I then carb for 36 hours at 30 PSI and then turn it down to serving pressure for 7 days. My question is can I get my 36 hour "boost" carb out of the way when cold crashing? Will this affect the clarity of the beer at all? Thanks

Carbing pressure is dependent on temperature. I imagine it takes about a day to get beer from high 60 degrees to mid 30s. I would think as long as you started the force carbing after the temp drops you should be ok. What pressure do you serve at and what pressure do you transfer at?

There is no reason you cant carb while cold crashing. Thats how many commercial breweries do it. You could even take it a step further and seal your corny off towards the end of fermentation and let the yeast do it for you.

Carbing pressure is dependent on temperature. I imagine it takes about a day to get beer from high 60 degrees to mid 30s. I would think as long as you started the force carbing after the temp drops you should be ok. What pressure do you serve at and what pressure do you transfer at?

Beer can be warm if you want. It really doesn't matter. Remember -- these things are pressure tested for 100+ psi. I chill and carb simultaneously all the time.

1. Rack into keg @ room temp
2. Clear headspace.
3. Set to 30psi, come back about 2 days later to find carb'd beer.

Remember, liquids DO hold onto some carbonation at room temperature -- case in point Coca Cola. If you're forcing it into solution, then you're well......FORCING it in. It won't hold as much at room temp, but it certainly won't refuse carbonation. And of course it'll sip CO2 faster as it chills.

Latest posts

Back