Anyone Watch MMA (UFC)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm incredibly fired up for 79. I actually tried to get a package to go see the fight, but failed..

I'm calling:
Hughes over St. Pierre
Silva over Liddell
Sokoudjou over Machida

I can't wait for 81 too.
I want to see Lesnar get pummeled.

Ya I bought two tickets to the one in colombus where randy got the belt and they costed me 500.00 so I decided I would just stay home from now on.

Hughes by submission
Liddell by KO
Sokoudjou by KO

Lesner will get choked out, Mir is still very talented.

Primary: Samuel Adams Boston Ale Clone
Primary: Yoopers Fat Tire Clone
Secondary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: APA, Bavarian Lager, Hard Cider
Drinking: Nothing got to Work in 5 hours
Planning: Double Chocolate Stout

I'm surprised to see you think Chuck will win.
I'm even more surprised to see you say Chuck will KO him!

I say that because Regardless of Chucks Last Fight He still can throw a bomb and I think he will be more prepared for this fight than any other, also I have to go out and say that the Pride guys have not looked to good in the cage other than Rampage, Hendo and Anderson Silva.

Anything could happen, that's for sure. Just look at Matt Hammil and Bisping. Hammil got robbed!

Me personally, I don't think Chuck has it in him. I'm looking for the fight to go 3, but I think Silva is going to dominate.
I'm thinking that Chuck's done in the UFC. This may be one of his last real fights.
I don't think Silva is the future, but a man with that much hair on his shoulders is sure to be around for awhile ;)

Here is my preliminary prediction:

GSP over Matt Hughes via TKO. GSP has great takedown defense even against a great wrestler like Hughes. I think Matt will get frustrated by GSP defending the TD and try to force himself to switch tactics. At this point, GSP will start focusing on hitting Matt and will start to connect some solid shots. I don't see GSP knocking Matt unconscious but I think the ref will have to jump in once GSP gets Hughes rocked and unable to intelligently defend himself. Might take the 3rd round before we see this.

I'm not up to speed on Wanderlei. I think Chuck knows he's had his 15 minutes of fame but will continue to train and fight to the best of his ability. He just likes to fight, he's a brawler. I don't know enough about Wanderlei to form an accurate prediction of that fight. I hope it's the fight everyone has been wishing for.

Now for Lesnar vs. Mir. Mir has beaten some big guys, he's won against Tank Abbot and Sylvia, and beaten Wes Sims twice. This guy has some great skills on the ground and in his fists. But, I think Lesnar has been training for like 2 years or something and if you have some good trainers, two years can do wonders. Lesnar has an excellent college wrestling background and that counts. He doesn't have the skills or experience that Mir has so I'm giving the fight to Mir. I think Lesnar can be a serious contender in the HW division with enough time, he's got the background and I'm sure he's got some money for training.

I reserve the right to modify these predictions as the fights draw closer. I usually make my pics the day of the fight and none of my friends will bet against me any more. However, I love how in this sport it only takes one punch! Anything can happen.

Find out who Couture is picking on these fights, he's ususally very spot on.

Everyone in this thread needs to go sign up over at Bloodyknux, ASAP. I need some fellow beer lovers over there! Just tell em fightguy sent you :)

capcrnch said:
I'm incredibly fired up for 79. I actually tried to get a package to go see the fight, but failed..

I'm calling:
Hughes over St. Pierre
Silva over Liddell
Sokoudjou over Machida

I can't wait for 81 too.
I want to see Lesnar get pummeled.
Honestly, I could see any of those top three fights going either way. Very competitive matchups

As for Mir/Lesnar, I actually think Lesnar is going to brutalize him. Why? Because Mir sucks and his cardio is one of the worst in the sport. He is highly overrated

BTW, another cool website for a little betting fun is www.mmaplayground.com. So far this season I am ranked #45 out of 11572 people!!!! The winner this season gets $2000, and I think I have a chance. I would be #11 except the website screwed up my picks for one event so I missed out on a bunch of points :(

You Maybe Right, But I doubt the Wanderlei and chuck fight will make it out of the first round They dont call silva the Axe Murderer for nothin right?

Anyone hear about the Houston MMA fighter that recently died? He had a stroke after/during the fight and a few days later died in the hospital. Previously he had a blood clot removed from his brain and he still continued to fight!

This is the first death of a MMA fighter in the US that died as a result of a sanctioned fight.

Yes I Heard about him and that fight But I cant remember his name, They did Surgery on him to Remove a clot and while he was in Recovery another clot entered his brain and caused a massive Stroke the docs could not stop him from clotting up.And it was Determined that his death was not a result of the fight but from a medical condition that made his blood clot.

I hope everyone saw the show Saturday night on Spike. The thing I love about UFC is that you're almost guaranteed to see some great fights. We saw some good ones saturday.

I really like how the light weight division is starting to draw much more attention. It will be great to see the light weights headlining the upcoming PPV's. I know they have in the past, but I want to see more promoting of that weight class. They're just great to watch go full-speed for the entire fight and not get tired. They constantly are working on the ground going for submissions and escapes. Maybe I'm biased being a light weight myself but it sure is great to watch these athletes.

Anyways, did anyone find out who the other coach will be on the upcoming TUF? I heard abour Forrest saturday but didn't watch the video game awards to hear the second one.

**Updated, I just got online and realized the other coach will be none other than Rampage! Wow, that is going to be one entertaining season.

12/09/2007
‘Rampage’ and Griffin named as coaches for TUF7
By Thomas

UFC President Dana White made it official over the weekend - UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson and top contender Forrest Griffin will battle it out for the 205-pound crown in 2008 – but not before the charismatic duo compete as coaches on season seven of The Ultimate Fighter reality show, which begins filming in January.

White made the Griffin announcement during Saturday’s Ultimate Fighter finale show, with the announcement of Jackson’s involvement in TUF 7 coming during the broadcast of the 2007 Video Game Awards on Spike TV, which also airs The Ultimate Fighter.

Jackson, fresh from becoming the first fighter in history to unify the light
ad
heavyweight title when he defeated PRIDE champion Dan Henderson in September, will be making his first appearance on The Ultimate Fighter. On the other hand, Griffin - who stunned the MMA world with his decisive submission victory over the last man to beat ‘Rampage’, Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua, also in September – will be returning to the place that helped make him a superstar back in 2005, when he won the first season of the show by defeating Stephan Bonnar in one of the sport’s classic battles.

The seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter – featuring middleweight up and comers - is expected to air in April 2008.

Rampage and Griffin - that's good TV in my book!!

Great card on Sat - all pretty good fights. Damn, is Mac Danzig good or what? Going down a weight class, he's going to be a force!!

I'm glad those two will be coaching. Unlike some of the coach pairings, these two don't have a history of hate with each other. They're both professionals and know that when they fight, it's just a fight and nothing personal. I really hope to see some humor between these two guys on the show instead of the usual insults. They've hyped the drama in the past and did a good job at getting new viewers but 99% of these fighters don't hate each other and I want to see that perspective marketed.

I hope they give them a funny coaches challenge too. Rampage doesn't strike me as the type to spend too much time doing other sports. I think it would be funny to see these guys on ice skates or something.

Mac is the man And Roger Huerta never fails to amaze me is just an awesome fighter to watch. As far as Rampage and Forrest that will be great! I would love to see Rampage get choked out by Forrest.

Primary:Nothing
Primary:Nothing
Secondary: Yoopers Fat tire Clone
Secondary: Samuel Adams Boston Ale Clone
Bottled:APA, Apple Cherry Cider
Drinking: nothing
Planning: Chocolate Porter

Any new news on Couture? I hated to see that whole thing happen... really like the guy in and out of the octagon. The wife and I are also big fans of the sport.

Don't forget about the WEC event this Wednesday on Vs. (WEC is owned by UFC)

Urijah Faber v Jeff Curran for featherweight title
Paulo Filho v Chael Sonnen for middleweight title
Doug Marshall v Ariel Gandulla for light heavyweight title
And the debut of Jens Pulver at 145lb

Looks like one of the best cards in a long time, and its free.

Randy Will only fight if the ufc can get Fedor Which is highly unlikely. I love randy as well hate to see it end.

Nate said:
Any new news on Couture? I hated to see that whole thing happen... really like the guy in and out of the octagon. The wife and I are also big fans of the sport.

Ya, seems like he just wanted to hang in there to fight Fedor. He has nothing else to prove in the sport. I'm guessing it will happen eventually.

RICLARK said:
Randy Will only fight if the ufc can get Fedor Which is highly unlikely. I love randy as well hate to see it end.

Yeah, I heard that as well... really sucks. Apparently, he thinks Dana has been lying to him about salaries as well.

The Liddell/Silva fight should be very entertaining.

Nate said:
Yeah, I heard that as well... really sucks. Apparently, he thinks Dana has been lying to him about salaries as well.

The Liddell/Silva fight should be very entertaining.

I have been waiting for this fight since I found out he both of them were Im so pumped I love them both.

Cub Swanson went for a takedown right away, Jens sprawled very well. Cub left his head in and Jens took the choke. The fight was over in like 30 seconds.

CrazyToad said:
Cub Swanson went for a takedown right away, Jens sprawled very well. Cub left his head in and Jens took the choke. The fight was over in like 30 seconds.

Wow - nice. I've kinda like Pulver. He was sort of a man without a weight class in the UFC. I'm sure he'll dominate over there.

Undoubtedly, Hughes would have preferred to fight Serra. GSP is a much tougher fight for him, but Matt has an ego. Anyone other than GSP would have looked like he was dodging him.

I'm going with GSP and Liddell, I don't think Silva can get inside on chuck which I think is where he needs to be to beat him.

rdwj said:
Wow - nice. I've kinda like Pulver. He was sort of a man without a weight class in the UFC. I'm sure he'll dominate over there.

It won't be too long before we see a Pulver and Faber fight. I really hope this can get a 145# class started in the UFC. The lightweights over there are really drawing a crowd now.

I wasn't surprised that Pulver got the submission. I was surprised it happened so fast but hey, that's what happens in a fight.

Neomich said:
It won't be too long before we see a Pulver and Faber fight. I really hope this can get a 145# class started in the UFC. The lightweights over there are really drawing a crowd now.

I wasn't surprised that Pulver got the submission. I was surprised it happened so fast but hey, that's what happens in a fight.

I would love to see the UFC get a 145lbs class there would be some great fights. I bet Mac Danzig would drop down and a few others that are still small at 155.:rockin:

did anyone else hear Ryan Gracie was arrested in Brazil for Grand Theft Auto where he later died in jail? cause of death is uncertain.

fightguy said:
Well he had pot, crack, and coke in his system so they are saying it was most likely a heart attack

That sucks he was a good fighter to young to die, I hate when athletes piss away everything.

RICLARK said:
I would love to see the UFC get a 145lbs class there would be some great fights. I bet Mac Danzig would drop down and a few others that are still small at 155.:rockin:

I agree. I try to explain to people that just because they weigh in for a fight at a certain weight does not mean that's how much they weigh at the time of the fight. From my own personal experience, it's common for people to drop 20 pounds to 'make weight'. So these guys are really around 170+ when they're not cutting weight. It's hard for guys that are naturally smaller (like me) to compete with that.

:off: My last grappling match was with a guy that was a competitve body builder. The light weight division was 150 and I have no idea how this guy managed to make that weight, he was huge. My instructor just looked at me, looked at him and had this evil little grin on his face. In a previous tournament, I had to grapple someone weighing in at 230. My instructor really enjoys messing with me like this.

Neomich said:
I agree. I try to explain to people that just because they weigh in for a fight at a certain weight does not mean that's how much they weigh at the time of the fight. From my own personal experience, it's common for people to drop 20 pounds to 'make weight'. So these guys are really around 170+ when they're not cutting weight. It's hard for guys that are naturally smaller (like me) to compete with that.

:off: My last grappling match was with a guy that was a competitve body builder. The light weight division was 150 and I have no idea how this guy managed to make that weight, he was huge. My instructor just looked at me, looked at him and had this evil little grin on his face. In a previous tournament, I had to grapple someone weighing in at 230. My instructor really enjoys messing with me like this.

Ya your right, On this past "The Ultimate Fighter" they were all fighting at 170 and Mac was talking about how all the guys were walking around at 190-200 lbs and he had to put on weight just to make 155! You said your last grappling match...what is your training Judo? I have just recentley enrolled in Muay Thai With an MMA instructor in Michigan.

RICLARK said:
Ya your right, On this past "The Ultimate Fighter" they were all fighting at 170 and Mac was talking about how all the guys were walking around at 190-200 lbs and he had to put on weight just to make 155! You said your last grappling match...what is your training Judo? I have just recentley enrolled in Muay Thai With an MMA instructor in Michigan.

I guess if I had to claim a particular style, it would have to be Hapkido. Luckily our Hapkido instructor is big on ground fighting. We do have some Judoka and BJJ guys that train with us along with some decent wrestlers. We have one night that is only grappling and it's not really a certain style as it is just going over techniques and improving. Due to the mixture of backgrounds, we just call it grappling rather than try to apply a name or style to that class. The local martial arts tournaments usually have grappling and our students do rather well, especiall our girls. It's funny watching a 10 year old girl tap out the guys repeatedly. And most of these girls are Taekwondo students!

Back