Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hollie said:
Cool I just asked on skeeter pee facebook page about using fresh key lime juice. I squeezed a gallon worth of key lime juice. Umm I click "recipes" under your name but just a burgandy box pops up. I would love to see it. :) Also, do u notice a big difference between the key lime and lemon flavors? I want my stuff to be like sucking on a battery. Sour! :)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/limeade-margarita-wine-356256/

My current batch of SP has 1/3 lime juice. I'm going to whip up another batch soon with 1/3 Key Lime juice. The 1/3 lime is great. I thought about taking the Margarita plan to the max and using Agave instead of table sugar. I haven't done it yet but I may get around to it.

Quick question for someone who can help... I am bottling some pee today and have already stabilized and all that... Is it still possible to bottle carbonate some of it at this point or should I have thought of that before adding the sorbate and kmeta?

You should have thought of that. No worries, SP is great still. I prefer it that way.

thanks :). I like it still as well :) next time I'll venture over to carbonate experiments

Hope this hasn't already been asked and answered:

I'll be racking my first batch of SP into a secondary this Friday, then brewing another batch of AK47 Pale Mild on Saturday. Can I reuse the SP yeast at the bottom of my fermenter for the AK47? I've already added the sorbate last Tuesday.

If so, I *assume* that I just leave a 1/2" or so of SP on the bottom of the fermenter for overnight, then just pour the AK47 over it the next day after brewing and then stir it up good.

Will this work?

Thanks,

Hmm, I'd imagine if you already added sorbate, then no, it won't work.

That's what I was thinking, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

BTW, even though I said I'm making a batch of SP, its really your recipe that I'm making with mostly brown sugar and lime juice. Early tasting indicates it's going to be GREAT!!!!

Thanks,

FTG-05 said:
That's what I was thinking, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

BTW, even though I said I'm making a batch of SP, its really your recipe that I'm making with mostly brown sugar and lime juice. Early tasting indicates it's going to be GREAT!!!!

Thanks,

yeah I still need to taste it again . I've been putting that offer too damn long now

Does anyone know if I can carbonate my pee and have it sweetened? I only know how to bottle carbonate dry :(

I plan on trying 1 cup of Splenda instead of the normal 6 cups of sugar and if tastes are good then prime with table sugar & bottle.

Dextrose is more complex than Sucrose and so harder to metabolize by the yeast. That is why you make the invert sugar with the lemon and water boiled for a bit. That breaks down the Dextrose to be more easily fermented. I still did the invert sugar but used table sugar because that is what I had on hand.

I'm on my first 20 oz. or so of my first batch of SP, boy is this stuff good!!! Racked it into my bottling bucket, then slowly drained it through two coffee filters into a five gallon carboy plus three 25 oz. PET bottles, about 6.7 gallons in all.

I'm currently about half way through one 25 oz bottle and man, is this stuff the bomb!!! I used Apple Jackers version with the 6-7 lbs of brown sugar, so it's slightly brown in color and it's not clear as I'd like, but it is very immature, it should get nothing but better as it ages.

SP is good stuff!!!!

Arpolis said:
I plan on trying 1 cup of Splenda instead of the normal 6 cups of sugar and if tastes are good then prime with table sugar & bottle.

I used sweet and low and bottled it. I didn't prime it. Although, the older it gets, there are little carbonation bubbles in it. I read the ingredients for sweet n low and it contains dextrose. I think I have a happy accident.

I bottled today. Used 75 drops (equivalent of 3 cups sugar) of liquid sucralose to sweeten. I also threw in a packet of unsweetened lemonade Kool-Aid, because I wanted it more tangy. To me it was bitter and sweet but not lemony enough. I hope the Kool-Aid brings that out a bit. (didn't taste to verify since I'd put in the priming dextrose already)

OK so I started my SP on 08/15/2012 and just racked it to secondary. I added 1.5 cups of splenda and 5 camden tablets in case any nasties happened to get in durring the racking. It is super super clear now so dont suspect for it to really clear any more. Another thing there was absolutly no finnings used in this. I will allow this time for the sulfites to dissipate and then I will prime and bottle. I plan on hunting up a priming calculator online to figure how much sugar to add for the propper CO2 level but is there anyone that has already tried to prime befor bottling and know how much it takes?

Edit:

Oh I forgot to add. Racking it off I used the whole racking cane/suck and put the tube quickly in the carboy methode. I did get a little SP to taste and already pretty nice even without tyhe back sweeten. Verry Tart and lemony. Exactly what I would expect lemon with vodka added lol. This should be super good in another 3 months when I think I will crack open the first one.

Arpolis said:
OK so I started my SP on 08/15/2012 and just racked it to secondary. I added 1.5 cups of splenda and 5 camden tablets in case any nasties happened to get in durring the racking. It is super super clear now so dont suspect for it to really clear any more. Another thing there was absolutly no finnings used in this. I will allow this time for the sulfites to dissipate and then I will prime and bottle. I plan on hunting up a priming calculator online to figure how much sugar to add for the propper CO2 level but is there anyone that has already tried to prime befor bottling and know how much it takes?

Will you have issues carbing this since you have vodka in it? Found this calculator, it may be helpful http://tastybrew.mobify.me/calculators/priming.html

oh sorry, guess I need to clear it up. There is no vodka in this. The recipe is exactly as the original SP recipe except I used Black tea instead of tannin powder, no finnings * plan to bottle carbonate by adding splenda and an amount of table sugar to prim.

I was only referencing the tast as lemon juice with a little vodka added.

Arpolis said:
oh sorry, guess I need to clear it up. There is no vodka in this. The recipe is exactly as the original SP recipe except I used Black tea instead of tannin powder, no finnings * plan to bottle carbonate by adding splenda and an amount of table sugar to prim.

I was only referencing the tast as lemon juice with a little vodka added.

Thanks Arpolis...you will have to let me know how you end up priming.

PDXHollyD said:
I bottled today. Used 75 drops (equivalent of 3 cups sugar) of liquid sucralose to sweeten. I also threw in a packet of unsweetened lemonade Kool-Aid, because I wanted it more tangy. To me it was bitter and sweet but not lemony enough. I hope the Kool-Aid brings that out a bit. (didn't taste to verify since I'd put in the priming dextrose already)

How did it turn out with the kool-aid? Did you get carbonation from the sucralose?

Arpolis, I noticed that you started your batch of pee back in August and that it is crystal clear now. I started this batch that I would like to carbonate about 3 wks ago. Can I use a fining agent to clear it without the use of sorbate and k meta and carbonate? Or should I be waiting for it to clear on its own?

I am lazy and dont feel like going to the LHBS to get the finnings. So i just let it clear on its own. It was actualyl about 7 weeks before mostly clear. I see no reason as to why you cant use finnings to clear and then prime to carbonate. I am used to making mead with 3 month primaries and 1 year secondaries. leads me to not want to use finnings to rush this.

Arpolis said:
I am lazy and dont feel like going to the LHBS to get the finnings. So i just let it clear on its own. It was actualyl about 7 weeks before mostly clear. I see no reason as to why you cant use finnings to clear and then prime to carbonate. I am used to making mead with 3 month primaries and 1 year secondaries. leads me to not want to use finnings to rush this.

Great, thanks!

I'm planning to make blueberry wine today and then use the leftover yeast for a blueberry skeeter pee. But I don't have a nylon bag or cheese cloth to hold the berries in primary. A lot of recipes seem to just crush the fruit and dump it all in. My question is, when I rack the blueberry wine leaving behind the yeast and lees, can I just make the skeeter pee on top of it all? Or should I really try to separate the blueberries in the primary?

Hmm... That's tough... Personally, I would probably just toss it on the whole thing. Then when it's really vigorously fermenting rack it off into it's own carboy to finish. That way you get all the goodness out of the Blueberry slurry and get it off before you have any major issues. But there's no science behind my choice.

Hmm... That's tough... Personally, I would probably just toss it on the whole thing. Then when it's really vigorously fermenting rack it off into it's own carboy to finish. That way you get all the goodness out of the Blueberry slurry and get it off before you have any major issues. But there's no science behind my choice.

I like it. I have mashed up 10 lbs of blueberries in my primary fermenter that I'll use for the blueberry wine. After my first racking, I'll make the skeeter pee on top of that. I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue if I leave it until primary fermentation is almost done.

I'm planning to make blueberry wine today and then use the leftover yeast for a blueberry skeeter pee. But I don't have a nylon bag or cheese cloth to hold the berries in primary. A lot of recipes seem to just crush the fruit and dump it all in. My question is, when I rack the blueberry wine leaving behind the yeast and lees, can I just make the skeeter pee on top of it all? Or should I really try to separate the blueberries in the primary?

The original recipe calls to use a slurry of a prior wine and comments on how the prior wine will augment or change the SP taste & look per batch. I see no reason as to why you can't do this and leave the SP on the blueberries for the whole primary. I had little chunks of peach in the yeast slurry I used. I snuck a small taste before back sweetening and it already tastes awsome after sitting on the lees close to some 2.5 months.

phuff7129 said:
Has anyone ever legged and force carbed skeeter pee?

I have. I only carbonated it at 12 psi but I think it would have been much better in the high teens or low 20s as it is almost like a soda once chilled, sweetened, and carbed. It is very dangerous this way though. Way too easy to drink too many.

How did it turn out with the kool-aid? Did you get carbonation from the sucralose?

Just putting some bottles in the fridge now to try tonight. The sucralose shouldn't carbonate; it's just concentrated liquid Splenda so I don't think that's fermentable.

--
edit: Opened the first one and apparently I didn't get any carbonation from the dextrose either. :( On the other hand, it's only been in the bottle for 16 days. Will try more and see if it's a widespread problem, in which case I guess I'll be kegging this batch after all. Tastes okay, though. A little bitter but definitely lemony.

Effington said:
My question is, when I rack the blueberry wine leaving behind the yeast and lees, can I just make the skeeter pee on top of it all? Or should I really try to separate the blueberries in the primary?

If you have access to nylon panty hose, you have a fruit bag.

I like to incorporate the fruit pulp, because I tend to remove blueberries around day 5-8, and freeze them and then incorporate back into the Skeeter Pee primary once I am ready to go. Blueberry Skeeter Pee made just from lees and escapee berries is good too, but opting to incorporate the pulp, a few pounds of new berries, or a starter made of blueberry juice- amazing. Just remember to use active lees, so if you tend to rack/transfer
/airlock to secondary at 2/3 sugar depletion then you will have the ideal active lees.

Think about adding some nubs of ginger once SG has dropped by 2/3 or even ginger juice, or some ginger juice as you are bottling to add some kick to a few, or drop a piece of candied ginger into a filled recycled beer bottle. So much fun.

Think about adding some nubs of ginger once SG has dropped by 2/3 or even ginger juice, or some ginger juice as you are bottling to add some kick to a few, or drop a piece of candied ginger into a filled recycled beer bottle. So much fun.

The ginger is an awesome idea, I've always enjoyed the flavor but never would have thought to incorporate it into something blueberry flavored.

For simplicity purposes, I think I'm just going to rack the blueberry wine to secondary (probably at about 2/3 sugar depletion like you said) and then just make the skeeter pee in the same primary with the fruit pulp that's leftover. I'm hoping the berries stay fresh, but if I rack around day 8-10, that doesn't seem like it would be a problem - and I'd know the yeast is active.

Yeast staying active is the least of your worries. I successfuly started my SP with a Wine's Lees that all had been sitting in primary for just about 3 months lol. And it went picture perfect just like the SP web site said it would. But racking sooner should help to keep the blueberries fresher. I love this recipe because whatever flavor drink you make first makes your SP absolutley unique. Can't wait to see your results.

I just bottled a pee with the lees from a recent Gewürztraminer I made. I cannot believe how great it came out. I was chugging it right out of the bottling bucket until it snuck up on me and I started walking awfully funny. :)

Latest posts

Back