Calculating starting water volume for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
I got a 10 gallon brew pot, and built a 2,000W heatstick. I filled it with 6 gallons of water today, set it on my electric stove and plugged in the heatstick. When the temperature reached about 200F, I realized that I never turned on the stove burner. I was hoping it would speed up my boil.

When the water boiled, I let it go for 30 minutes. I chilled (to test out my new chiller) and saw that I lost 1 gallon of water. That seems like a lot.

I am planning to brew in a bag. Does this mean that for a 5 gallon batch I'd need to start with 7 gallons on water + whatever water my grains will absorb?

There are calculators out there that will tell you how much you'll need based on a number of factors, such as grain quantity, boil loss rate, pot loss, and a few others. I used BeerSmith for my first BIAB a few weeks ago and felt like I had all the info I needed to make beer start to finish based on my chosen method, and a lot of others as well. I think it costs $27, but check their site. You can download a 21 day free trial too. The software seems daunting at first, but it really is easy once you get the hang of it with your first brew. It takes all the guesswork out.

I bought it a while ago, just because everyone who's mentioned it, raved about it.
I can't figure out how to account for loss of water in the grain.

I started BIAB about three batches ago and I'm finding my grain absorption is about .08 gallons per pound. A 12 pound grain bill gets me about a 1 gallon loss too absorption. Pretty close to what beer smith will tell you.

I started BIAB about three batches ago and I'm finding my grain absorption is about .08 gallons per pound. A 12 pound grain bill gets me about a 1 gallon loss too absorption. Pretty close to what beer smith will tell you.

I did my first BIAB on Saturday and found the exact same number. I think BeerSmith estimated something like .07 so it was about right.

I second the recommendations for BeerSmith. I used it for my BIAB and was only a tad off from the preset mash efficiency, boiloff rate, and grain absorption. I will just tweak those after each BIAB session to dial it in.

Guys, I really recommend you, to go at biabrewer.info - register there (unfortunately quite not straightforward process). BUT - they got awesome posts and spreadsheets for all kind of Biabs.

Back