Want a built in/undercounter Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big "A"

Reaction score
Ok, I've looked into it and the d**n undercounter designs are three to four hundred dollars more. Dorm fridges that I have looked at don't have clearance for a corny keg.

Any Ideas to save myself the extra funds and get the kegerator installed, I'm beginning to hate bottles. LOL.

My Idea was to refurbish the existing wet bar (little closet type) remove the counter and cabinet build a cabinet to fit a kegerator and shelving for glasses and stuff. Ok, I know what some will say only use half the space and put a roll in in that space. OK ? what do I do with that space when I sell my house? I know I'm almost answering my own questions, give me your .02 anyway.:mug:

How big's the space? Will a Sanyo 4912 fit? (I believe the external dimensions are W21 3/8" X H33 3/4" X D22 3/4")
Common choice for kegerators. Often on sale at Best Buy for $160-180.

Yes that fit and are you sure it's only 180 WOW:ban:
I'll be looking there this weekend jesus:rockin: I'll owe you a beer or 12:drunk:

If it's there it will be time to :tank:

Just went to look; I see what your saying there is no freezer so it should be an easy conversion!!!

Big "A" said:
what do I do with that space when I sell my house?

Nothing. When you sell a house, that space becomes someone else's problem. Just make sure that you specify in any sales agreement that the bar fridge is not part of the sale. (But be prepared to deal on that--- don't let a $200 fridge break the sale of a house)

IMO: The value of the Sanyo solution is the lower cost to entry.

If you add multiple taps and so on, the cost of a used kegorator (about $3 - $400 on craigs) vs. DIY Sanyo is a bust.

I am in no way criticizing anyones decision on this, just my 2 cents.

To each his own I guess.
If you think about it if I go with a used kegerator I still need to change fittings and what not and I have checked craigs in my area all are $5-600. Thats for a single tap since I never go half way I'll be buying a dual tower and placing the gas tank in the adjacent closet. Thank you everyone and I'll be checking back to see if there are anymore IDEAS.

Oh yeah, I just like DIY projects anyway:D

I think the ASU crowd goes through kegerators like nobody's business which may explain the price diff.

Connectors will run quite a bit more than the tank and reg you'll need to buy.

But you're right to do the DIY if that's the cheapest you can get.

I bought a used kegerator off CL, and while it was only $250, I've easily dropped another $500 into it with the tower, faucets, new lines, regulators, etc etc etc. This doesn't include the amount of time I spent cleaning the rust out of it and repainting it. I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll post photos of it elsewhere when I finish it.

The advantage of converting a used kegerator is that it will hold 4 kegs instead of just 2. That is to say, it's an advantage when you're drinking, but not when you're buying all the hardware to build it.

kvh

Back