Suggestions for IPA recipe with deep hop aroma without enamel-striping IBUs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I really love aroma of the hops. Heck, I will put my darn face right in the steam coming off the brew kettle and try to inhale all the steam with all the fine aroma of the hops. BUT, I love having a beer or two with my wife and I don't want her running for water to rinse her mouth 'cause the IPA is a gazillion IBUs.

Do you have any suggestions for a good partial mash recipe that can make my nose tingle without striping enamel off my teeth?

If I were you I'd look through the recipes section for an IPA or Pale Ale with about 45 IBU. Add an extra ounce of your favorite hops to the kettle at flameout, then dryhop it with another 2 ounces.

I just put together my first recipe with essentially the same goal, except as a Pale Ale. I posted it in the recipe section. With some suggestions I tweaked it, so look at the recipe toward the end of the thread. I haven't made it yet, so I have no idea if it's any good. Well, to make it easier, here's the post.

No idea if it's good. And I did change (at the last second) the 2-row to 1 1/2 lbs.

I've been kind of curious about the Hop Aroma tablets that I've seen a few times in the Williams Brewing catalog. Theyre supposed to add aroma without the IBU's. Maybe its gimmiky, maybe it works. I dunno.. They're made from hops apparently.

Not too hoppy for me, please. Why not just go ahead and bottle her half then hop the rest to your heart's content? Same beer, you can both enjoy what you like. Win/win

You probably don't want the recipe for the black IPA I have. Its around 117 IBUs.

Just look for a recipe, like trigger said, that has something in the 45-50 range, or you could do what buzzkill said and just move the hop additions back. Boil 1/2 of what it calls for at 60 minutes and bump the rest back, ie, 45 minute addition gets added at 30, etc... Also, use hops that are a little lower in AA%. Try to stay away from ones over 10%.

If it were me, I'd look for a Pale Ale recipe since the IPA ones are going to be more bitter as a whole.

I LOVE my DFH 60 minute clone. It's pretty low in IBUs, but big in hop flavor and aroma. Even my non-hoppy beer loving friend likes it, because the simcoe and amarillo hops are grapefruity and not bitter at all. She still prefers Land Shark or some such beer, but will drink that IPA all day long if I have it on tap.

Don't add any bittering hops.

Add just a little bit of flavor additions at 30 min.

Add a ton at flameout, like 3-4 ounces.

Dry hop like crazy. 4 ounces at a time. Add first dry hop 4 oz, rack off into another vessel, add 4 more ounces.

If you use high-alpha acid hops with low cohumulone, you will get lots of aroma without as much "enamel-stripping." Simcoe, citra, horizon, etc.

Sometimes I will add a single hop pellet to a bottle before capping. You have to either strain it out when you pour or just enjoy the floaties, but that will certainly be a very aromatic bottle, with some grassiness.

I just made a pale ale 23l batch with all Citra hops - 20g first wort hopping, 120min boil, 20g 15min and 20g at 5min - was just a few kilos of Pils malt, light body mash profile and US-05 yeast - does not get any simpler than that.

SWMBO drank 2 pints out of fermenter while I was bottling it. absolutely gorgeous - a lot of hop aroma, - very citrusy/grassy/fresh/lemontree but not too bitter - ibu's about 30

I LOVE my DFH 60 minute clone. It's pretty low in IBUs, but big in hop flavor and aroma. Even my non-hoppy beer loving friend likes it, because the simcoe and amarillo hops are grapefruity and not bitter at all. She still prefers Land Shark or some such beer, but will drink that IPA all day long if I have it on tap.

I second this Yooper! This has to one of the fastest the wife and I have gone through a keg. This has a bit of hop bite but a nice balance of aroma and flavor hops. This ones going on the regular rotation of brews. You'll use less hops than a traditional IPA as you're adding the hops every minute, not just in bursts. The flavor from bitter to flavor to aroma hops is smooth, not sharp.

Back