My first sample of my first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I made a Dogfish Head 60 minute clone (I believe the recipe is in the database, but I don't really remember right now) for my first AG. I cracked one open today, after bottling on 2/24/07. It's overcarbed (I used 4 ounces corn sugar and kept at 62 degrees) and has a chill haze (Did I forget the Irish moss again?) but the taste is awesome!
Definitely the lightest color I've ever made and with 67.4 IBUs, it's a nice IPA. A bit bitter, though. Next time I might dryhop with a bit more- I used amarillo (1 ounce) and simcoe (1/2 ounce) for 7 days- to balance it better. Nice aroma, though, and I'm pretty happy overall.

congrats.
with the chill haze i have found that leaving the bottles in cold storage for a couple of weeks seems to make it disappear.(my cold room is around 45 degrees in the winter)
welcome back from the holiday.

I thought chill haze was primarily present right out of the fridge, maybe around 35 or 40F. I typically take a bottle from the fridge for enjoyment and have it sit on the counter for a few minutes while I do important things like pee and stufff. By then, no chill haze. I haven't measured temp yet but will now that I am thinking about it and have a happy bladder...

Is the 60 minutes really good or is it a 'phaze' thing?

Glad to hear that your first AG was a success. :mug:

I always get chill haze Irish moss or not. One thing that has helped my beers is extended time in the refrigerator. Kegging has helped because I some times do a sort of secondary with the beer in the fridge before I force carb it.

Well done.

I'm not too sure if I get chill haze I like my beer ar cellar temp rather than fridge temp.

What's you next step? Larger boil pot or are you happy how you are?

I'm not sure! For the summer, a turkey fryer would be great. But it would only be doable for about 4 months up here and during the hottest part of the summer I don't brew that much anyway. I love brewing in my kitchen on the stove and I'm not sure how big of a pot my stove will handle.

I'm trying to convince my friend to go AG and let me brew in her garage with her. She has most of the fun toys to do her mini mashes and the garage/yard to do it in. My garage is far from the house and the hose is on the other side of the house from the deck/doors.

I'm going to brew again soon, and do an American amber. Then I have to think about what's next!

Let me add my congradulations and Thanks for the words of encouragement when I did my first AG

Back