Please critique this first serious recipie/brew session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djlunchbox

Reaction score
Here is what i will call my Hippy Wit recipie. Pretty close to a basic witbier recipie from what i can tell , this being my second wit i've tried brewing. Named after the hippy LHBS dude i use, lol. please point out anything you see wrong, and what i could do better next time. thanks!

HIPPY WITBIER

6 oz 2 row
8 oz torrified wheat
1 oz acidulated malt
1 oz honey malt

6.6 Lbs Northwestern Weizen malt extract

1 oz willamette hop pellets 4.8% AA

3 grams corriander
3 grams bitter orange peel
1 oz sweet orange peel

i popped my yeast bag (wyeast 3944 belgin wit) about 14 hours before i brewed.

2.5 gal. steep of grains @ 155*-160* for 40 min
sparged grainbag into 150* water for 10 min, "tea bagging" it until it could give up no more.

combined the two pots and brought to a boil

added the full Oz of hops, and mixed in the malt extract. ( did it on the heat, next time i will shut it off)

boiled @ 210 for 60 min

@ 15 min left i added .5 oz sweet orange peel
@ 10 min left i added .25 oz sweet orange peel
@ 5 min left i added .25 oz sweet orange peel , as well as the corriander and bitter orange peel.

pulled 1 cup of wort out for starter and cooled to 70* in flask ( i think this was a little late, it only had 1.5 hours to fire up)

cooled wort in ice bath until 90* and added to the fermenter with 2 gallons of 60* water. (next time i will cool wort further, i did my math wrong)

topped off to 5 gal and mixed it up nice

waited another HOUR AND A HALF for the wort to hit 70*

OG right at 1.050

aerated nicely

pitched yeast starter and lightly stirred in for 3 seconds.

locked up the fermenter and set up the blow off tube.

12 hours later i was getting 1 bubble every 2.5 seconds, and as of now, she's steaming full ahead at 1 big bubble every second ( 5/8" line)

i already have a few things i will do different next time, but what do you more veteran guys think? i was purposely going for a strong orange flavor here without doing a secondary fermentation with real fruit.

discuss:ban:

Make sure to aerate the wort well when you pitch the yeast.

Also it is nice to take a OG reading. Its not necessary and won't affect the taste of the beer but is good to know nonetheless.

OG was right at 1.050, and i aerated this batch very well compared to the last 3 i've done. i will edit my post, thanks!

Back