Nottingham Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sims_l22

Reaction score
I viewed the post about the Nottingham yeast how it exhibit slow fermentation characteristics. I have two packages of this yeast that i received with my extract kits that i never use because i use Wyeast smack packs. I want to start making my own yeast starters. Can i use these packets to make a starter, I figure this is a way to utilize them and to learn how to make a starter. Also would like to know of some books on the basics of yeast culture. Thanks

sure you can do it but make a 1L starter although some people recommend not making a starter for dry yeast but if you just want to experience making a starter especially with notty I say go for it

There is no need to make a starter with dry yeast. You just want to rehydrate the dry yeast with about a cup of 90 degree water, let it sit for 5 minutes or so, and then pitch. A lot of great beer is made with dry yeast, including several award winners in the latest HBT competition. You want to make a starter with your liquid yeast, not dry yeast.

It's a great cheap way to practice with a starter to get a little experience in. Go for it!

+1!!!

Plus a lot of folks including biermuncher wash and harvest their dry yeast, especially now that it has doubled in price. Gwoing and jarring it may not be a bad idea. Of course THEN the dry is no longer dry and needs to be treated as a liguid yeast and a starter made before brew day.

Agreed, giving notty a starter will only make it stronger :) not needed, but great practice. I personally don't ever even rehydrate my dry yeasts, I just chuck them into the cooled wort at pitching temps. It kicks off every time by the next morning, and my last double batch was a 10 gal and a 5 gal each, and did notty in both, and they both kicked off hard this last Sun morning, or sat eve, and are already done w/ like probably 90% of the fermentation, its slowing down well now and starting to clear. Only 4 days later...

Edit: of course I didn't take a gravity reading, so its possible its still finishing, but I don't touch it until at least 3 if not 4 weeks anyway :)

Echoing pompeiisneaks... I made 11 gallons of pale ale this weekend and split the batch into two carboys. I used a Nottingham packet in each carboy; the first one I pitched directly onto the cooled wort, the second one I pitched it with re-hydrated yeast.

When I checked them the next morning, the rehydrated yeast had a thicker kruesen, but within 48 hours they looked the same.

Brent

Back