Honey - Chocolate Stout review/help/modifications please.. ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khyber

Reaction score
Brew Name: BFP Honey Stout
Brew Type: Partial Mash
Style: Stout
Brewer: Khyber
Batch Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]
2.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.43 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) (3.0 SRM) Grain 12.43 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.79 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.21 %
1.00 lb Honey
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 28.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale
1 lb fat free cocoa powder [last 10 mins of boil]
1 Vanilla Bean [split and added to secondary]

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Color: 29 SRM
Bitterness: 22.6 IBU (30.0-45.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.80 %

Started with the Choc. stout recipe that was on the recipe page.. i do 7 gallon boils.. (big carboys) :)

I would like to get it darker, and more bitter, and about 1% higher ABV.. if possible.. what should i add/subtract? The honey addition is just me being.. well.. adventurous.. i think it might taste good.

I would like to get it darker, and more bitter, and about 1% higher ABV.. if possible.. what should i add/subtract? The honey addition is just me being.. well.. adventurous.. i think it might taste good.

For darker and more bitter you can bump up the IBU by 5 or so and add a little Roasted Barley. To get a higher ABV you have a few options. You can add sugar, honey, malt extract or more base malt.

What hops should I use to bump up the IBU?

Some roasted barley would go well.. would another pound of honey be overpowering for the honey flavor?

What hops should I use to bump up the IBU?

Some roasted barley would go well.. would another pound of honey be overpowering for the honey flavor?

Since the hops are for bittering the variety doesn't matter much. Any slightly higher alpha acid variety should do. When you make bittering adjustments remember that even .5% AA is a pretty big increase. Make sure to double check your total IBU calculation before you brew.

Another pound of honey shouldn't be overpowering.

Back