acid low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewc

Reaction score
I have just pressed two gallons of mixed apples (no cider varieties)
and have a ph of less than 2.8 and an s.g of 1025.
before pressing out all 200 kgs of fruit what should i add to the juice to increase acidity? I know i can add sugar to up the s.g.
Do i really need to adjust it , what can i expect if left to its own devices?

Actually, if the pH is actually 2.8, you have very HIGH acid levels, and the must is very acidic. More acid is the last thing you need.

If you want to bring up the SG of the juice, you could add sugar. Any kind of fermentable sugar would do- table sugar, honey, etc. A pound of table sugar would increase the SG in two gallons by .023.

Yooper's right - 2.8 is way low (high acid). Are you sure you dont mean 3.8? The sg sounds very low also. What are you using for measurement? I dont think you could get numbers that low if you pressed unripe crab apples.

yes you are all right and i am way wrong!!!
The acid is measured on test papers ,brand new, the s.g is measured with a hydrometer.
My only thought on that piece of equipment is its age, so it may be giving a false reading. My test batch of two gallons was with a mixture of eaters and 5 or 6 crabbs thrown in, I was aware that they would make for an unnaturally dry finish.
Iam still concerned that my batch may be high in acid and need to know if i can add precipitated chalk to reduce it to 4.0

Were the eaters ripe? Around here there are a few that ripen in September, but most dont get picked until Oct/Nov. I'd go by taste - when you take a swig, do you get the apple sweetness up front? If not add some sugar. For the finish, a little bit of a sour tang is nice, but if it makes your jaw lock up, you want to add some sweeter juice. I dont know if chalk would work with apple juice. Bottom line is does the juice taste good? If so, you probably dont have problems. If the apples arent ripe, you want to store them somewhere to ripen up before you press them

Back