Burner / Honeywell valve question/ HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjferris

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been gone for a bit but i'm finally ready to get back on the horse and get this brutus 10 build on its way again. I have my stand welded up and ready to go, I have most of the parts for the honeywell pilot / gas valve set up. my question is this. can anyone tell me a straigt fwd answer as to what burner will work well with this set up. I have seen many many threads of how the jet burners work but they are to high of a psi rating for the honeywell valves. What do I need for a burner? Plain and simple. The only LOW PRESSURE jet burners I found that actually say low pressure are the 90$ burners on more beer. (What happend to the ones lonnie speced out for 39 bux???) So I was looking at the topfoodservice.com website and these are the 3 i'm looking at but none of them specify if they are low or high pressure. I would really really really like to not blow myself up when brewing my first batch on my new system. Any words of advice or links would be most appreciated.

JET BURNER, CASTIRON, W/COVER, 9" L.P. : Restaurant Equipment and Supplies - Restaurant equipment, Restaurant Supplies, Foodservice Supplies
16 jets and a wind screen looks promising.

JET BURNER, CASTIRON, 6" L.P. GAS : Restaurant Equipment and Supplies - Restaurant equipment, Restaurant Supplies, Foodservice Supplies
10 tips small but don't know if it is Low Pressure??

JET BURNER, CASTIRON, 9" L.P. (CHINA) : Restaurant Equipment and Supplies - Restaurant equipment, Restaurant Supplies, Foodservice Supplies
and the ever popular 23 tip burner.....

here is a pic of my stand, sorry for the cruddy quality, it's an iphone pic in bad lighting.....

I have read a lot of negatives about those jet burners. If I were in your shoes I would listen to Boerderij Kabouter and start looking at a Low Pressure Hurricane Burner, but of course, as always the choice is yours.

I second the recommendation for the Hurricane burner, if it is shipped with high pressure orifice, it can be changed to low pressure Lp or NG by drilling out the orifice. A couple bucks for a number size drill bit from a hardware store, and a couple minutes of drilling effort, and you are good to go.
The jet burners look impressive and are cheap, but more than 10 jets is way to big for the average keggle, more flame up the side than doing any work under.

if i go with the hurricane how do i mount the pilot? The jet burners have the location to put the pilot but I don't think the hurricane burners have a mount for a pilot location do they??

The popular method is to mount them on the outside edge of the burner casting with a small piece of sheetmetal bent in a "L" shape. Here is a shot of how Apparatus installed his Pilot Light - HomeBrewTalk Gallery The main thing to remember is the pilot flame only has to pass over top the edge of the burner without touching the burner casting, top of pilot burner shoud be the same as top of the main burner.

Back