One hop rhizome DOA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
One of four of my hop rhizomes (planted in top quality planters mix in planters) has no signs of life after a month (Sterling). The other three are going OK. Is it typical for vendors to replace dead rhizomes? I've raised this by e-mail but no response.

This was looking weak at planting (the others had buds and wisps of roots). It might have been a twig for all I know.

I too have one rhizome that has done nothing. It was twig-sized as well. I had two shoots come out of the raised bed a week ago, only to have them leaf out in a strange way. Turns out is was a weed that initially looked very hop-like upon first breaking ground. I dug it up and the twig was slowly putting out roots and some VERY small shoots. We'll see.

Luckily this was the magnum, which I really didn't want anyway but bought because it was what I could get and I had an empty spot. If it grows, it grows. If not, I'll order the hallertau I wanted this year next year or trade rhizomes off of an established cascade I currently have.

Point being, you have three healthy plants, and (maybe) one dud. At this point I've written the magnum off, but continue to water it as I do the other and maybe two weeks from now we'll both be talking about the "miracle" plant that grew against all odds. Yah, the vendor shouldn't send out twigs, but the miniscule harvest off of one first year plant will pay for all of the others, let alone the second year.

Probably a little late for them to be replacing them anyway, even if they were willing. Considering the rumors that hop rhizome orders increased by like 1000% this year because of the hop shortage, they must have been ridiculously swamped, so I don't fault the hop farms for sending out a dud rhizome every so often. I ordered 6, and had one 'twig', which I don't think is too bad a success rate.

I'm 5 for 6.

One of my nugget rhizomes didn't take off but I didn't really expect them all to make it.

Out of my Cascade, Golding, and Willamette, Sterling was the last to sprout, but then was brutally mauled by insects...I'm talking down to the rhizome mauled.

Out of my Cascade, Golding, and Willamette, Sterling was the last to sprout, but then was brutally mauled by insects...I'm talking down to the rhizome mauled.

That's encouraging. My Cascade, Mt. Hood going strong, Willamette just starting. So I may be Ok. I'll wait. I really wanted Sterling...

I'm 1 for 3, but I'm not crying in my beer. For a first time hop farmer, I'm doing fine.

First timer here myself. I got 3 for 3 but thought one was dead until last night. It took 5 weeks to finally send a shoot up!

I had a Centennial that i thought was DOA, but it just came up this morning. I plated exactly one month ago.

Freshops actually sent me 2 Mt Hood and 2 Willamette, i only ordered 1 of each, but they are both up and alive. Got 1 Cascade that is up too.

6/6, woohoo!

I am 2/2. I have an opportunity to plant 10 acres next year if I want to. I am looking into it, but at the current price of rhizomes that would be a lot of Jack.

I am 2/2. I have an opportunity to plant 10 acres next year if I want to. I am looking into it, but at the current price of rhizomes that would be a lot of Jack.

Yeah but even a modest yield would put you in the black.

I planted 10 in pots. All were gowing well then I replated them outside. One (Saaz) did not like the move. In a month it has not changed. Has not got any bigger of smaller but the leaves have turned a little yellow. I don't have much hope fore it but I will leave it be and see what she does.

I was 12 for 12, a rabbit liked one of the cascades, ate it down to the ground, I dont know if it will come back or not, but I am pleased to say the least.:rockin:

Probably a little late for them to be replacing them anyway, even if they were willing. Considering the rumors that hop rhizome orders increased by like 1000% this year because of the hop shortage, they must have been ridiculously swamped, so I don't fault the hop farms for sending out a dud rhizome every so often. I ordered 6, and had one 'twig', which I don't think is too bad a success rate.

When you order only 2 for $10 which were hand packed I do fault them if they send you out a dud from the start. If they are so short on quantity/quality rhizomes they should just state they are sold out. Now if you were buying bulk I could understand a twig or dud here or there.

I got my order last night and one type had long roots and the other what appeared to be twigs-no roots. On the good ones the roots were coming out of the bottom of the part that looked like a twig. I took a picture and emailed them just in case but I will plant and see what happens, of course it is possible one varity sprouts before another. My guess is just that, not that they sent me something dead.

When you order only 2 for $10 which were hand packed I do fault them if they send you out a dud from the start. If they are so short on quantity/quality rhizomes they should just state they are sold out. Now if you were buying bulk I could understand a twig or dud here or there.

I got my order last night and one type had long roots and the other what appeared to be twigs-no roots. On the good ones the roots were coming out of the bottom of the part that looked like a twig. I took a picture and emailed them just in case but I will plant and see what happens, of course it is possible one varity sprouts before another. My guess is just that, not that they sent me something dead.

Finally got a response from the seller and he said the little white bumps on what appeared to be "twigs" was new roots growing and what I should expected to have received. That is what I thought but they were really small and rubbed off with easily, and no I didn't rub them all off I planted them. I guess what made me question this was the other had long roots (6-8") which did not look like new growth.

I am assuming that most here are possibly newer to gardening than they are to brewing. Rule of thumb... NOT EVERYTHING YOU PLANT GROWS. Regardless of what you are planting, getting every plant you put in the ground to do something is unlikely. My largest fattest rizome with the longest roots is the one I had that didn't sprout, and I had two "twigs" that are 4-5 feet tall now.

The problem could have been anything from location to depth to soil composition, and every variety will need something slightly different. Go to the garden center and buy some seeds or bulbs and plant them... they won't all grow. Everyone should take care of what they have growing, learn something about gardening and hop growing, and choose the stronger/healthier varieties in our area for next year.

I am assuming that most here are possibly newer to gardening than they are to brewing. Rule of thumb... NOT EVERYTHING YOU PLANT GROWS. Regardless of what you are planting, getting every plant you put in the ground to do something is unlikely. My largest fattest rizome with the longest roots is the one I had that didn't sprout, and I had two "twigs" that are 4-5 feet tall now.

The problem could have been anything from location to depth to soil composition, and every variety will need something slightly different. Go to the garden center and buy some seeds or bulbs and plant them... they won't all grow. Everyone should take care of what they have growing, learn something about gardening and hop growing, and choose the stronger/healthier varieties in our area for next year.

Assuming you are directing your response to everyone here in general, to my point was a grower should be able to pick and put a live plant in the box. It may die in shipping but it should be live when shipped. What you do with it afterwards and if it will live I agree, is difficult to determine the outcome. Usually rhizomes come with some developed growth even if dormant. In this case it was 2 sections (cut on both ends) not 1 root visable. My experience tells me the bumps were probably new roots just developing. My comment was in regards to one comment about the shortage and demand making it difficult for growers to assure live rhizomes. To me that is no excuse. By the way, I am 47 and have been gardening since I was able to dig a hole. My wife and I live on a 10 acres, 9 farm with 4 gardens including variuos trees. Our vegatble garden is about 30x75 with melons and pumpkins way in the back of the property (I even grow tobacco and cotton, tons of cactus) If I could afford it I would be a full time farmer, just can't afford the 300 acres+ needed or the equipment.
But I agree with you 100%

I am only 3 for 6, I think I had 3 planted to deep at first. I have tried to salvage by replanting in pots, but no luck. Is there any chance to save them in the frig and try again next year?

Correction:

The nugget that I thought was dead wasn't.

I was looking at it today and it must have sprouted sometime in the last few days.
Looks like it will be ok for next year.

Hops are some kinda crazy plant.... :)

I had a Wilamette that I thought was dead. Nothing after about a month and a half. My other Wilamette and 2 Cascades were climbing away. I dug it up just for kicks and replanted it. About a week later, it sprouted and is now working its way up the twine trying to catch up.

I am extremely concerned after reading this thread. How are you guys seeing sprouts already. I did not even get my zomes from Morebeer until last week. How long should I expect it to break ground? I dropped them into the mounds I made and covered with one inch as instructed. I have watered once in a week but we have had a couple showers. I did not want to put too much water on it and the ground beneath the surface still feels nice and moist.

Don't suppose you noticed that this thread is from June, 2008...

Just make sure the ground stays moist, but not wet. Give it a few weeks. Warm sunshine will help so if the weather isn't the best it may take a little longer. Of the 8 rhizomes I planted 3 years ago, only one didn't come up. I think there was a split in the rhizome; that, combined with a wet spring, allowed rot to set in. The last rhizome to come up did so at 4-5 weeks. I also think I planted mine a bit deeper than necessary.

Unfortunately it's not perfect ...sometimes you're going to get something that doesn't grow. Typically the advice is to get 2 of anything you want to plant ...just in case one dies.

Back